Deleted my mac os x lion hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BoxedUser, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BoxedUser macrumors newbie

Mid 2011 Imac (Lion preinstalled)

Formatted the hard drive to ntfs, now im in a bit of a pickle.'
    Do i need to get snow leopard disk & install it then buy another copy of lion from mac app store, heard snow leopard is not bookable so do i need to buy another mac($$$) and use target disk mode and install snow leopard and continue from there?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried using Lion's Internet Recovery mode?

3. Texran macrumors regular

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without Mac OS X installed,*new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD*(Command-R method above) doesn't work. Lion Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

4. BoxedUser thread starter macrumors newbie

tried running internet recovery i get a error quarter way to full in the progress bar also recovery partition was inside the hard drive which i unintentionally formatted.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you can't get Recovery Mode to work right, you'll have to find some way of making a Lion USB recovery drive with Apple's utility.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"You may have to reformat HFS+"

Agreed on this point.

I don't think Lion can be installed on a drive that is initialized to ntfs. Why would you do this in the first place?

I believe that in order to install Lion -- and to even persuade the Lion installer app to "see" the target drive -- it MUST be initialized to HFS+, with journaling ENabled, and GUID partition map.

If you have a completely hosed Mac, in ntfs, with no OS DVD (or other source) from which to install, your best bet is to "start over from scratch" with _some kind_ of BOOTABLE media.

Perhaps the easiest way is to buy the Lion USB flash-drive package. More expensive but it _should_ boot the Mac, and give you the opportunity to do a clean install.

And, next time, use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a fully-bootable cloned backup of your OS on a separate external drive (or, better yet, get a USB/SATA dock and a bare drive combo). If you had had this in the first place, re-installation would have taken no longer than the time it would have taken to "copy over" from the backup to the internal drive....

8. BoxedUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much, helped a lot thought you need snow leopard