Deleted my Mac OS X Partition!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noahgolm, Oct 17, 2010.

1. noahgolm macrumors member

As I was trying to install Arch Linux on my Mac (dual-booting), I accidentally deleted my Mac partition! To add insult to injury, the version of linux I downloaded was the wrong one, so I couldn't even have that. I reintalled Mac 10.5 (I have the 10.6 cd, just haven't reinstalled that one yet), and now I want desperately to recover from the old partition. Please help!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

I did, but unfortunately it is several months old. In that time, I began all my ventures into programming, so all of my major files and important data are on that partition! I know there are softwares out there that can supposedly recover the partition, but I don't know which one to get. They're all between 100 and 180 dollars, so I don't want to get the wrong one.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To recover a wiped drive, I highly recommend Data Rescue III. It's the best recovery software I've ever used, and I've used a variety (did this on an almost daily basis as a Mac tech for a while, not at an Apple Store, but a third-party retailer). Actually, to clarify, I used Data Rescue II, but the new version should work just as well or better.

It's $99, and well worth it.

jW

5. COINcoin77 macrumors newbie

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I'm praying that you get your files back mate. I know first hand how devistating losing your precious files can be.

7. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the quick and friendly responses! I downloaded the demo of Data Rescue, but it didn't seem to find any deleted files! With testdisk, it shows a large number of partitions inside my computer. I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to use these softwares, so any help here is greatly appreciated.

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You also shouldn't get your hopes up.. Data rescue software does not always work, or do exactly what you were expecting.
    At this point consider it all lost, and any thing that is recovered is better than nothing.

9. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

Well, I know that one software did find a lot of files. Unfortunately, it was a demo and couldn't download files larger than 10kb. Let's see if the other ones work like that, too.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are talking about your data and since you don't have a recent backup, why are you taking a chance on cutting corners/looking for a free program. If you have an app that seems to work, pony up the cash and buy it.

11. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

Data Rescue 3 did find some data, about 50GB, as opposed to the 110-130 lost, but it's better than nothing! I'm going to search through partitions and see what else there is in terms of lost data. I found some files, like a .png and a .jpg, but when I click the preview button, it only shows text. Does that mean the file was ruined?