deleted my trash "folder" PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FLY., Jul 30, 2009.

1. FLY. macrumors newbie

i had this problem, that i couldn't delete a file from my trash can, so i followed a link i found in a thread where some one had the same problem as i did, in the link i found a guide that said i should go to terminal and enter "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash" so i did, and yea my trash can was now empty, but then i tried to delete a file by dragin' it into my trash can in the dock, my macbook now tells me that the file will be deleted INSTANT, i search the internet again and found out that my problem was that the command i intered in terminal (sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash) deleted my trash directory

so i guess i now need to REcreate my trash, can anybody PLEASE give me a guide on how to do that im realy lost, + im new to mac

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

what you should have done (probably) is missing a final slash and then it would do what you want.

If you had a ~ in the first command you probably also need one in the second though. i.e. sudo mkdir ~/.Trash.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, I think the tilde means a relative directory? Where is the trash directory located in Mac OSX anyways?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

~/foo means a subdirectory called foo in the home directory.

/foo means a subdirectory called foo in the root directory (Macintosh HD).

foo means a subdirectory called foo in the current directory (when Terminal starts this is the home directory).

6. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

now i did the sudo "mkdir /.Trash" and i can now drag things to my trash but i can not empty it

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Probably the permissions are wrong on it.

I'm not sure, I'd guess in the root.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Run sudo mkdir ~/.Trash instead. The trash was deleted from the home directory originally, so we should put it back.

9. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

okay when i try "sudo mkdir ~/.Trash" it says "mkdir: /Users/emil********/.Trash: File exists" file excists? should i delete folder again? o_O

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do sudo rm -rf /.Trash (to remove the .Trash folder where it shouldn't be) and then do sudo mkdir ~/.Trash as as geoffreak points out you originally deleted from your home directory.

And then if it works don't touch the command line unless you know what you are doing ;).

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Backup your files and reinstall your OS. That way you save the risk of further damage.

12. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

it aint working yet, i did "sudo rm -rf /.Trash" to delete the new, then "sudo mkdir ~/.Trash" to make new, it says after "sudo mkdir ~/.Trash" that folder excist allready, should i reboot between commads?

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It is possible that Mac OSX automatically recreated the trash directory. Try a restart and see if that got everything working again.

14. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

restart didnt help me, problem is that "sudo mkdir /.Trash" gave me a trash i can throw things into but no empty, right?, and i can not delete this "sudo mkdir /.Trash" and make a new cus it says file excist"

so i think my problem is pretty critical, i cant delete thing from my mac ? :,(

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

what happens if you hold option while emptying the trash?

16. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

it makes sound but no delete still.. files stays in trash, it doesnt even ask me if im sure i wanna empty my trash

17. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Open up disk utility and run verify and repair on your hard drive.

18. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

19. celticpride678

It will repair any errors on your hard drive (if you have any).

20. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

any guide on how to find this, my mac is danish laguage cant seem to find any place to repair?

21. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can change the language to English in the system preferences for the time being so you can find everything.

22. FLY. thread starter macrumors newbie

while i was waiting for answers i managed to delete my trash folder again i think by "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash" so i added ~

now i cant dragg anything to it, it dont even delete it instant i guess i now need to create a new trash folder

edit; that i tried; sudo mkdir ~/.Trash, still said file excist, then i rebooted and now things works fine for me, thanks for those of u who took time to try fix my problem