Deleted NTFS partition accidentally, any way to restore?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fweddy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. fweddy macrumors newbie

Hi people, I'm currently having a bit of a problem. I was trying out to test if I might want to use OSX since I was always using Windows XP, but apparently I did some stupid things while I was on OSX. I wanted to expand my OSX partition but I couldn't do the typical dragging to adjust the size, so I pressed on the + button on disk utility and my windows partition became 2 equal partitions. But that wasn't what I wanted so what I did was to click - and not sure that that was an actual confirmation for deletion, I clicked the button to Doom!

So now, I'm left with a single Mac partition with the rest of HDD in free space condition. I didn't create a new partition or read or write to the sector. The question is, thus, if there is anyway to restore or undelete that partition that was so unfortunate?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

there arent any ways, tough luck. do try to know what ur doing in disk utility, as this can cripple entire systems

3. Definity macrumors member

Quite ironically, there is this link advertised below this post for me:

http://www.wit-soft.com/

Spefically, Witsoft 2008 Suite. Good luck.

4. fweddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose it's hopeless :( thanks for helping people!

5. Googon macrumors member

Yeah no way you can get anything back, only thing that is on the hard drive after deletion is hidden caches that tell someone everything that hs ever been done on that hard drive for legal purposes I guess.

But that won't be any good for you, unless you are part of the FBI tracking down a 12 year old girl who is really named Frank, and is really a 54 year old pedophile.

Sorry, I tried to make my comment slightly humorous to please you :D!

6. hgnand macrumors newbie

similar problem

hi.

I partitioned my hard disk using Easeus Partition Home Edition. Then I attempted installing mac on my pc. While it was running the installer an error message popped up saying that Mac could not be installed. Then I went to Disk utility and erased & formatted my partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

After this I rebooted my computer and am unable to boot from my primary hard drive to run XP. Does anyone know how to undo the formatting of the partition (back to NTFS)? Thanks!

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Testdisk can sometimes recover deleted partitions.

Testdisk/Data Rescue 2 can recover deleted data.