Deleted OS on MacBook 4,1... Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skrrrtskrrrrt, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Skrrrtskrrrrt macrumors newbie

Skrrrtskrrrrt

Hi there everyone. I have a Early 2008 MacBook 4,1 that WAS running OS X Lion. I was trying to install Windows through bootcamp and I blindly let it create a drive. I checked my Disk Utility and it showed Windows was 160gb out of 160gb and OS X was 79gb out of 79gb. I tried to delete the Windows partition, but with no success. Upon restarting, I have found that all I get when trying to boot is being hung at a white screen, no logos. In the Option menu, there is only 1 disk, which is EFI Boot, and when clicked it just freezes the system and makes me have to restart. Command + Option + R and Command + R doesn’t work. I didn’t have anything important but I need an operating OS on it, I don’t care what it is!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Put an os installed on a usb flash drive and boot and install from that. You can download a macOS installed from another Mac or Linux from any device.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Do you have the Install DVD (10.5.2) that shipped with the MB? Do you have any bootable back ups?

You need to care what OS you get. Your MB will only support Mac OS 10.5.2 (only distributed with the MB install DVD), 10.6 (Snow Leopard only distributed on DVD (10.6.3) purchase from Apple), or 10.7.5 (Lion only distributed from Apple purchase via download to a Mac using the Mac App Store). No other OS will work. Do you have another Mac capable of running Lion so yo can purchase Lion, download it, and create a bootable Lion USB installer?

Your best bet might be to purchase the Snow Leopard DVD so you can boot from it, install 10.6.3, update to 10.6.8, then purchase Lion and install it.
    Snow Leopard DVD purchase:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
    Lion purchase:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106/os-x-lion

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Lion was also sold on usb drives and can still be bought.

macOS is also not the only os that can be run so if the op specifically says
    The os doesn’t matter, Linux and FreeBSD are options.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

6. Skrrrtskrrrrt thread starter macrumors newbie

Skrrrtskrrrrt

ChromeOS is unusable

7. EugW, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

EugW macrumors 603

EugW

ChromeOS has a lot going for it, but if you can’t use it then you can try Linux Ubuntu 17.10. (Ubuntu 18.04 comes out today but is buggy.)

IMO, Lion 10.7.5 is unusable in 2018. The browsers are all out of date and very problematic for secure financial websites.

Windows 10 would work though if you can get it installed, and with appropriate drivers.

8. Skrrrtskrrrrt thread starter macrumors newbie

Skrrrtskrrrrt

Ok so... I got Ubuntu quite awhile ago, 17.10 or 17.04, although I suspect it's 17.10. I have been trying for the LONGEST time to get Windows 10 but all my attempts have failed and has led to the OS X drive being deleted, hence this post. I only have a CD-RW and a 16gb USB drive, please tell me how to get windows 10 STEP BY STEP! If possible, send an ISO
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    Also, I know Lion is unusable, but I needed it for BootCamp.

9. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

Captain Obvious has to ask - do you have backups? Time Machine Backups?
    Other than that just do what is being suggested by @CoastalOR - that would be the
    easiest route IMO.

10. Skrrrtskrrrrt thread starter macrumors newbie

Skrrrtskrrrrt

Nope. None at all. If I did have any, they are gone since the Windows partition overwrited OSX. I can't buy any of the things listed by @CoastalOR because I'm broke. If I had some money, maybe $3, I'd already have windows 10 up and running on this old macbook.