Deleted Posts?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by JL7, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JL7 macrumors member

I have had several posts deleted :eek: in a couple different forums and I have no idea why? I haven't broken any forum rules that I know of.

Why don't members get notified when their posts are deleted, explaining why they are being deleted?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they wouldn't have been deleted if there wasn't a problem with them.

and the amount of extra work to pm and explain each and every deletion for a group of volunteers that are busy enough as it is, is quite a bit more than worth asking for, imo. and its not necessary. your posts were deleted because the mod/mods deemed they were either an issue or somehow otherwise worth deleting.

if you have a particular question pm a mod and talk to them about it. its a bit of a no-no to air issues in public.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It happens to all of us on occasion.

There are many reasons as to why a post was deleted.

Only the Mods know for sure. While it would be very nice to receive feedback each time a post was deleted, the Mods simply do not have time to provide feedback on each post deletion/modification.

I would suggest that as long as you are complying the with the forum rules, just continue posting and don't worry about it.

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i had it happen yesterday, almost 5 posts in one thread were gone. i still dont know why. they were not mean, rude or wrong by any means. yes i posted them quickly, but all were answering questions and i was very interested in what i was typing/ the thread..

it happens.

5. kabunaru Guest

You mean this thread?:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=568993

Yeah, I noticed that at least one of my posts in that thread was deleted as well. I did not say any thing mean or any thing like that.
    I do not take post deleting that personally. Although, I wonder if the mods are speechless about my recent threads though and do not know what to think of it. :D

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yes! thank you!

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you'd like an explanation of your deleted posts in this thread, we can provide it, but we assume that members don't want us to give out such information in public. As PlaceofDis said, you can ask the moderators privately.

In general, the reason a post is removed is always the same: it broke the rules or it was connected with a post that broke the rules.

Example 1: Person X posts "lol" and nothing else. That's against the rules and the post will be deleted.

Example2 : Person X posts commercial advertising. That's against the rules, the post will be deleted, and the moderators will deal with the violator. If, before the moderators step in, Person Y posts in reply to the advertising, that post will also be removed, even though Person Y didn't break the rules.

If people break major rules, they will hear about it. If they break minor rules (like Example 1), the moderators usually can't take the time to notify them about it. But if the moderators notice a pattern, such as someone repeatedly making "lol" posts, they will remind them of the rules.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I have posts deleted all the time. Not sure why.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Please check Dr. Q's post above.

He provided some insight and a way to find out why your posts have been deleted.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dr. Q covered all the bases. Posts are deleted all the time. As much as I hate to say this, it happens.

My advice is that if you see a bad post don't reply or quote it. Just report it and move on. I've seen a lot of ad spam that gets plenty of replies. I just report it to the staff and move on to other threads.

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I saw it. All of my posts are longer than one word, or one smily.

I don't care really, but it can be annoying some times.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I wouldn't class 13 posts in 4 years all the time. If you want an explaination either publically here or via PM let me know.

13. JL7 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you:), I believe at least some of mine fall into this category.

14. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Last i checked 345>13 :confused:

15. kabunaru Guest

The moderators here are the nicest and best moderators I seen ever on a forum. In some forums, moderators can be crazy and very picky about posts. We are so lucky to have the moderators we have at MacRumours.
    Thank you to all Moderators/Admins for making MacRumours such a great place and I do not take it personally if you delete a post of mine once in a great while. It is only a post. No big deal. There are bigger things in life. :)

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Macrumors works in mysterious ways. I still find it fascinating that they just remove posts without notifying you why/when/what. Blank editing a post with a reason in the reason field is what mods usually do on properly moderated forums (aka not here). So at least other members can also see what the offender did wrong and take caution themselves.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe he was implying/stating that you've had 13 posts deleted in that time frame. not your total post count.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sorry I meant that you have only ever had 13 posts deleted (in the 4+ years that you have been a member). Which I don't think counts as "I have my posts deleted all the time"

19. kabunaru Guest

Can we just maybe remove the post count system and make people be a member for at least 6 months before getting an avatar?

To me, post count is meaningless.
    Also, can we just have an ability to make our own "User Title" then if the post count system is removed?

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Many of us who have been on MR for a while see the current system as a good one.

21. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

And making your own title, would spread thin with ridiculous ones. Post counts, tell how active a member is, or isn't as well.

22. kabunaru Guest

That should not matter one single bit. I do not know why people care so much about the post count.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The number of posts are simply an indicator of how active the person has been.

24. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is not a justification that it is a good system.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Never said that it was a justification.

My point was only that many who have been around the forums for a long time like the way that it is. That's all.

Regardless of how any of us feel, any decision to change is arn's since it is his site.