Deleted SMS .. Using Restore to recover

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffchoa, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jeffchoa macrumors newbie

Hi, I accidentally deleted a list of SMS messages. Fortunately, I have synced them to my iMac previously.

If I were to "restore" my iPhone via iTunes, will I be able to see my recently deleted SMS messages again?

I am afraid to "restore" as my last sync was 2 weeks ago and am just afraid that the new things I got in the last 2 weeks, eg, SMS, apps, notes, might all be overwritten.

My idea of a solution is:

1. Sync iPhone to a new User profile in iMac. (to save current version)
    2. Restore iPhone via iTunes from the existing user profile. (to go back and see what iphone looked like 2 weeks ago)
    3. Recover all the old SMS that were accidentally deleted.
    4. Restore iPhone via iTunes from the new User profile in iMac. (to revert iPhone to the current version)

Will this work ?? Help !

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Wont work! As soon as you restore the backup it's gonna overwrite anything in the phone. You gotta decide which one you want, you can't have some of each. That said, there is various tools/software available that will let you open an iTunes backup and extract your SMS files.

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

actually it should work. BUT, you have to get the sms somewhere else before you restore back to the current one.

So lets say the old one with the sms is "A" and the current one is "B"

New profile and sync to save B. Then go to current profile and restore and get A back. Email or etc the sms off of the phone. Go back to new profile and restore to A. Keep in mind that you will need to resync your apps and music and videos. Your data should be fine.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes, doing it this way would work, sorta. However, he wouldn't have any way to get the SMS back on his phone in the SMS folder.
    But, if he uses this, http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/he should be able to do just that.

5. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Why dont you think it will work