Deleted system files, used time machine to restore, now stuck on apple screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by feeth, Feb 2, 2011.

1. feeth macrumors 6502

I was trying to free up HD space on my 2010 13.3 MBP. It appeared that I had some duplicate system files so I deleted one set of them. :eek::eek:

Could not get the mac side to work after that, windows was fine.

Last night I installed the 10.6 disk and started the recovery from Time Machine.

Got up this am and the screen said everything was complete and to do a restart. So I did and now all I have is the apple screen and the clocking circle below that.

I did a forced shutdown by holding the power button, waited and powered up. It is still stuck on the apple screen.

TIA for your help.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just goes to show what happens when you start deleting stuff and you don't understand enough of OSx/*NIX to know what's needed and what's not.

Hopefully you have a backup of your critical files.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you had used CarbonCopyCloner _instead of_ Time Machine to do your backup and restore, you'd be running along happily now.

My suggestion for the future:
    When you finally do get the MBP restored and operating again, GET RID OF TIME MACHINE. You see how well it's working for you "in a moment of need". Not so well, in my opinion.

Instead, download the _free_ CarbonCopyCloner and use it to maintain an incremental backup of your drive.

If you do this, you will have a BOOTABLE CLONE of the internal drive.

You can actually boot from the backup to do maintenence, etc.

CCC will serve you far better than TM.

4. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I will give these steps a try later this evening when I have time.

I will also use CCC in the future.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I have to agree.
    TM is OK for restoring odd files etc, but for a full restore it is painfully useless as I have found on 2 occasions now.

It`s a good idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
    CCC all the way.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use SuperDuper and have clones on two separate HDs, plus time machine. I alternate the cloning back and forth between externals.

7. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been following this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

I have nothing hooked up except for power.

I've tried safe boot mode, Reset the NVRAM / PRAM and Start from your Mac OS X Install disc; use Disk Utility.

The safe boot and starting from the install disc did not work. I tried them both many times.

I do have aftermarket RAM which I have never had an issue with, but I will swap back to the stock RAM next.

8. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally got the Disk Utility to work from the install disc. :rolleyes:

When doing the perform a disk repair of your Mac OS X volume, I found nothing so I did a permissions repair. That found more then a few issues, rebooted, still had the initial issue.

I then did the Perform an Archive and Install installation of Mac OS X, rebooted and all is finally well.

Now I will backup everything with the CCC, then install the Seagate Momentus XT 500gb I got from newegg for $99.

Wish me luck. :eek:

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

It only takes one mistake like this to inspire people to do backups!

Good luck with the upgrade.

10. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Used CCC w/ new Momentus XT 500 in an external dock to get a clone of my original HD. Installed new Momentus XT 500 and all is well. It is amazing how much quicker Aperture and FCE load now.

Now to get the Mini and iMac backed up with CCC.