Deleted System Library: G4 OSX10.4 won't Start

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ahabtv, Dec 8, 2007.

1. ahabtv macrumors newbie

ahabtv

This is concering my G4 Desktop that was running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger), as is my G4 Powerbook on which I'm typing this.

What happened is my fault. I was getting rid of unneeded files, when by accident I deleted an entire Systems Library; even though it prompted for a system administrator password. As soon as I hit "Empty Trash" it was: "Uh-oh, bad move."

Anyway, what's done is done, and I'm trying to get it up and running. Basically, pressing the Start button gets the Startup Chime followed by a gray screen with the Apple icon and the forever circling gear icon.

I have spent the past couple of days browsing the MacRumors Forum, testing out all suggestions for similar issues - but nothing has worked.

Below is a list of the unsuccessful strategies:

1. FIREWIRE: Connected with Firewire to my Powerbook G4 and held "T" - no luck. It does not mount on the Powerbook - the monitor is a Grey screen with Apple logo and circling gear icon.

2. STARTUP CD - They are lost. I can't contact Customer Support because even though I bought the extended AppleCare, the three year warranty period expired several months ago.

3. SAFE BOOT: Reboot holding down the <Shift> key. No luck at all - just the grey screen, apple icon, and circling gear icon.

4. SINGLE USER MODE: Reboot with Command and <S> key until a command line interface comes up.
    No luck - the command line interface never comes up (which I've read follows "###"). The cursor is frozen and does not respond to input from the keyboard. Below is some of the text that is frozen on the screen when I try to reboot in Single User Mode:

Apple Extended USB Keyboard: family specific matching fails
    Apple Optical USB Mouse: family specific matching fails
    IOUSBInterface: family specific matching fails
    ApplePMU: : CLOCK RESET! PMU WAS PROBABLY RESET SOMEHOW!!
    Security auditing service present
    BSM auditing present
    disabled
    rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: 80D36B51-E8AD-38AF-8CC8-4E9617097D00
    WAITING ON <DICT id="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string>key>IOResourcesMatch</key><string ID="2"> (here it cuts off)
    Got boot device = IOService:MacRISC2PE/pci@f4000000/AppleMasRiscPCA/ata-6@D/AppleKauaiATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABLockStoragDrive (cuts off)
    bsdROOT: DISK0S9, MAJOR 14, MINOR 10
    LOSAD OF /SBIN/LAUNCHD, ERRNO 2, TRYING /SBIN/MACH_INIT
    LOAD OF /SBIN/LAUNCH FAILED, ERRNO 2

If anyone could please suggest a do-it-myself solution, I would be deeply appreciative.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need an install CD/DVD. Without the system library the machine cannot boot at all. I'm not sure what you can do without one. Any Apple stores near you?

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You won't be able to boot.

It's doing this kind of thing that has me worried about Mac viruses in the future. If you delete something and it asks for your password, think for a second... or five. :eek:

4. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

hello. Thank you for the response. Yes, there are Apple stores; but right now money is very low w/ writers strike & all. Question: is it not possible to burn an install CD/DVD from my Powerbook, or download as a torrent?

5. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

Do you mean that when I do reboot with the Install CD/DVD the computer will always be more susceptible to virus because deleting that System Library did permanent damage to the g4?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm a bit concerned that you've got another problem, if the desktop drive can't be mounted to the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode. Did I read you right?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I meant go to the Apple store when it's quiet, talk nicely to a Genius and see if they could help you out...

8. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

Ok. I'll give it a shot Monday. I usually go to Mac Mall but they don't any favors for anyone, but I'll try an Apple store. Thanks.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm really curious about Target Disk Mode. Are you saying it doesn't work? This should never happen.

10. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

Yes.

Actually, the first time (after deletion of the Systems Library), the G4 Desktop did mount to the Powerbook in Target Disk Mode, but now it does not. Owning two Macs, I often use Target Disk Mode (via Firewire cable), so it is something that is familiar to me.

(Note: the first time when Target Disk Mode worked, so did the Startup Chime stopper application. Now, it's obvious that application is no longer working because there is a loud chime).

Thank you.

11. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

I deeply apologize.
    I had tried this many times before, but since you guys were so adamant, I just tried again and YES, the Target Disk Mode WORKS.

I am sitting here on my Powerbook and the G4 Desktop is mounted.

Hooray!

But what should I do?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, well at least you have access to your files now, which should be an improvement in your circumstances. I was concerned that your problem was deeper than it first appeared.

Do you have an external hard drive?

13. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

Yes. It is a big relief, and had not you been so adamant I would not have tried again. Perhaps previously I held down the "T" button too early - I made sure this time that the Start Up Chime sounded and faded out before pressing "T". Thanks!

Yes, I do have a working Western Digital (firewire) external drive with plenty of space.

Also, please note that that on the Desktop, there are still two System libraries:

1. (Drive)/Library
    2. (Drive)/Users/User/Library

The deleted Systems Library was (I think):

(Drive)/Users/Usr/Library

That was part of the confusion, because I could not understand what need there was for a "Usr" Library, given that I always log in as "User".

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The obvious advice is to back up your data ASAP.

Someone else might be able to answer this question more fully, but I believe it's possible to install OSX on a drive mounted in TDM. If this is the case, then the restore discs that came with your PowerBook might do the job. I'd use "Archive and Install" if it allows it. The other possibility is to copy the missing directory from your PowerBook to the desktop, but frankly this makes me a bit nervous and I'd be reluctant to try it myself. Perhaps you've got nothing to lose at this point by trying it though.

15. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

I will give this a try this evening. I keep my important files on the external drive or Powerbook, so to be perfectly honest, I don't mind if I lose the data. I just need to get the computer functional again.

I'll post tomorrow if it works.

Thank you for all your good advice - have a great weekend.

16. ahabtv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahabtv

good news.

in the firewire transfer mode, I used Tinkertool to see the hidden directories, and then I copied the "usr" folder from the Powerbook to the Desktop and everything is beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who took time to give advice - - deeply appreciated.

regards, Ahab (videoStar)