Deleted Threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mal67, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

If a thread has been deleted by someone I guess any posts a member has added to that thread obviously get deleted too. If so does this mean then that those posts don't then count towards a members ongoing post total?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Yes, that is correct.

3. Mal67 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. Thanks for the quick response.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

FYI: All posts on PRSI also don't count toward your post count. I have this feeling that there may be another sub forum where posts don't count toward post count...but for the life of me I can't remember which one if I'm right.:eek:

I'm sure if I'm correct, some other kind soul will provide the information.:D

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You can review the FAQ about which forums do not count toward post count totals.

I think that my post count is wrong.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the additional information. :D

Sorry I didn't check FAQ myself.:eek:

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why doesn't the console forum count towards post count? I would think it would. I'm surprised the picture gallery counts towards it since that's such an easy place to post at.

Not that I give two poops about post count, just seems odd to me that users that participate in the console forums don't get credit but those that can screenshot their desktop and take a picture of the door knob they last turned are considered better contributing members. Unless the FAQ is wrong.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The picture threads are still very Mac orientated though. Not all of them, but most.

I would like it to be extended to the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum too.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No... no they aren't. Here's all the threads I could fit on my screen at once.

Not mac related
    Celebrity crushes
    Last Purchase
    Aquarium
    Headphones
    Youtube videos
    Future purchase
    Instagram
    Things you want
    Bicycles
    Things you got for free
    Car
    Music you're listening to
    Working environment
    Gifs
    Beer
    Backpacks and contents
    Pet

Mac related
    Desktop March (questionably mac related)
    Home screen (questionably mac related)
    Mac Pro setup
    Mac setup
    Macbook Sticker (questionably mac related)
    Desktop February (questionably mac related)

Out of the Mac Related ones, 3 of them you could easily post over and over again into since they are just screenshots of your desktop.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ok, sure, but here's another thing to remember:

The console section is about consoles and their games, not Macs and iDevices. Same thing with the alternative section. And you can easily post to those everyday, and not bother with the rest of MacRumors. In fact, a lot of people IN the alternative section, don't venture off into other parts of this forum, and when they were, it was mostly to taunt the iPhone guys. And now we get new Android guys everyday because we're more civilized compared to the other Android related places.

Picture threads are easy to participate in, but they aren't something you could use to establish yourself on a forum, like you can with the other sections. Especially here, you probably wouldn't get away with posting a new desktop picture everyday, or your wallet. MAYBE gifs, but soon enough someone will notice.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What's wrong with discussing alternatives to Mac OS X, iOS, or any other product Apple makes? You can't have a discussion without bringing up the competition.

Why should I believe your assertion that people register just to hang out into the alternatives forum only to venture out into the main forum to cause trouble, when you couldn't even be bothered to do a minute of research on your prior assertion that the pictures gallery was mostly about Macs?

The community discussion area by and large doesn't have anything to do with Macs either, so maybe that area shouldn't be included in the post count. The reason we have a console section I'd imagine is that the admins felt there would be enough posts in the Community section (where the posts would go if the subforum did not exist) to justify giving those people their own area. So if the community posts are to be counted, why not the console area?

You can absolutely get a sufficiently high post count in the pictures gallery without much issue. Check out the UI customization subforum. I could post OS X and iOS wallpapers to kingdom come in there. Let alone a sufficient portion of the posts in there are akin to "Thanks for the wallpaper" or "Where can I find that" or "can you resize that?".

I'm fine with subforums not contributing to post count and others counting. In the end post count doesn't do anything except give users an avatar and allow admission to a few subforums such as the PRSI and Marketplace. I wouldn't care if any users had access to these from registration day. I'm simply curious why the console forums get excluded when there are other subforums that would be better served to be excluded. That's something you can give your opinion on, and so far your opinion has been off in my opinion, but only an admin (or maybe a mod) could likely answer.