deleted troublesome bootcamp but cant get back the partition space

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madeirabhoy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

ive had no end of problems with my bootcamp portion, which was fine under windows 7 and yosemite, but between el capitan and windows 10, its been a disaster, lots of crashing, mainly when usb drives plugged in.

so finally i took the plunge, downloaded windows 10 and stuck it on a dvd, backed up all my steam games (all i use windows for) and opened bootcamp 10 assistant and removed windows.

except at the end of it it gave me an error about not being able to remove the partition, and now although disc utility can see that my internal drive is 1TB, i can only see 500gb which is my original mac partition.

nothing in disc utility works, if i do it from OS X, it says its combined the partitions but i can see it hasn't. reducing the partition to 1 and pressing 1 just gets operation successful....

running it from recovery mode is worse, it tells me theres an error in the recovery partition.

boot camp assistant doesnt think the partition is there any more. it just sees a 500gb drive and asks me if i want to partition that.

disc utilities cant find any problems.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I have encountered the exact same problem when trying to remove Windows partition in El Capitan.

My temporary workaround is backing up whole El Capitan partition and format whole disk, and recover from it.

3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

think you might be right. i see older posts saying that restarting in single user mode and using fsck will fix it, but for me it doesnt, it says the hard drive is fine. everything says everything is fine, except when starting from recovery mode where it tells me the recovery partition isnt fine.

backed up to time machine and tonight ill wipe the drive and start again....

4. macenied, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Did you have HFS on the external drives ? If yes, the Windows bootcamp driver "applehfs.sys" corrupted your disk(s) and you need to disable it after you installed bootcamp drivers next time. applehfs.sys does not work correctly under W10.

For disabling the driver, download the MS utility "Autoruns".

Workaround: Use the Paragon HFS+ driver for Windows 8/8.1 instead. It is free now and works with W10 too.

5. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheers, much appreciated, ill try this.