Deleted user, how do I unlock data

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tbobmccoy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Okay guys, when I was resetting my MacBook for my wife, I deleted my user and created one for her. The user was a former admin account, and the new user is an admin too. I forgot to transfer some of the files off the account (iTunes files mostly, but also some movies). I see the folders still exist, and my hard drive still registers the data there (otherwise I'd have a LOT more free space), so how can I access this data now, on a new user, when the old user has been deleted?

Any help would be appreciated! :D

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Terminal and sudo are your friend here open Terminal now once in there drag and drop from Finder the top level directory containing the files in question to Terminal so you have the path to it, now use a command like the one below changing to your situation.

Code:
    sudo chown -R your_new_user_name:your_new_user_name /path/to/files/to/change
    Now after you have entered your password it will change ownership of all the files included under the old users directory to the new you specified thus allowing you to do what you want with them.

3. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Thanks for the sudo command to get that done; i actually found a much easier way by right-clicking, more info, then changing the permissions through there, which might be a bit easier for everyone else, too :D