Deleted Var folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hballard118, Apr 10, 2008.

1. hballard118 macrumors newbie

Hey i as just wondering if any one had any good advice on how to solve my little problem. This afternoon while playing around learning new shortcuts i accidentally deleted my Var folder. Now it is still sitting in my trash can however i can not restore it since that private folder contains my master passwords and its a secure folder. what i gathered from other post is that the most common solution is to just uninstall my OS and reinstall it while selecting Archive. My question being is this my only option? Or is there some hope since the file is still in my trash can? And if i do reinstall will the archiving make sure I don't loose any of my data, even though I haven't back my data up yet... oops...?
    Thanks to any one who can offer a solution

2. macgruder macrumors 6502

You should be able to use the Terminal to do this.

$ cd
    $ cd .Trash
    $ sudo mv var /private

[you may want to check that there isn't a var in private already]

$ cd /private
    $ ls -l

3. hballard118 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried accessing my terminal to do this, however i no longer am authorized to run that app. the administrator has set the shell to an illegal value

4. macgruder macrumors 6502

Boot up the machine so you go straight into the command line. I think command-S as you boot up will do that.

5. mack1223 macrumors newbie

hey guys I too did the same thing, I accidently deleted the VAR folder

its still in the trash but it would not be restored and my password wasnt working, obviously...

anyway to restore it?

I used the command-s option to boot but I am at a loss as what to do next...any help would be very appreciated