deleted.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by knowhate, Dec 11, 2009.

1. knowhate, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need the dual link DVI adapter for displays bigger than 24", the 30" for example.

The USB cable is for the USB ports on the backside of the Apple Cinema Displays.

EDIT:

The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter lets you connect the 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD to a Mac with a Mini DisplayPort.

and

The Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter lets you connect an advanced digital monitor, such as the 20- or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display, to a Mac with a Mini DisplayPort.

Both grayed information has been taken from the description of the products you just linked to.

3. knowhate, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

knowhate thread starter macrumors regular

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

All the Apple Cinema displays since they became LCDs do, actually. But the reason that USB port is there is to power the dual-link DVI adapter - it requires power since it's not a completely passive adapter.

5. grue macrumors 65816

It takes a lot of power to suck as hard as that piece of junk does.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That may be - I can't speak to that - but The Rominator has put it to good use nonetheless in his ongoing projects with Eyefinity and a Radeon 5870.

7. imbty macrumors newbie

What if I plan to use my MBP with an 47" HDTV (1080p)? Would the normal mini displayport suffice?

I really don't wanna buy a new 24" LCD monitor. I just hate having to edit photos on a 15".

So I'm fine if my HDTV downsizes to an 24" resolution (correct term) with only the normal minidp.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Let's say it like this:

miniDP -> DVI: Fits for resolutions up to 2048 x 1152 or 1920x1200.
    miniDP -> DualLink DVI: Fits for resolutions up to 2560x1600.

The size of the display doesn't matter at all. All you need to know is what resolution your HDTV has.
    As there is no consumer TV that has a higher resolution than 1920x1080, the miniDP -> DVI adapter is the adapter you need.
    The DualLink DVI adapter is exclusively needed for 30" computer displays, not for TVs.