deleted.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by knowhate, Dec 19, 2009.

1. knowhate, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. designer22 macrumors member

Hi, I have a similar model UPS - APC 1500 Back-UPS RS which I use with my MacPro 2x3 GHz Quad-Core. Have had it about a year now, and have 2 displays plus other stuff plugged into it all the time - works great and have never had issues with battery time when power fails. You should be good with your choice.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I have the same unit. It's been fine so far, and has been able to handle both brown-outs and power failures quite well. :)

Please note however, the surge suppression is really small (crappy), as it's ~10% of what you need. I'd recommned looking for a separate surge suppressor (as close to ~4k J as possible), and plug that into the wall, then the UPS into it (if you don't already have such a unit). That's what I've done, and it does work. :D

The LCD functions are handy too, as you won't need a Kill-a-Watt unit to determine your power consumption. ;) Kinda nice. :)

4. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Whatever you buy, don't worry about installing the "drivers" that come with it! OS X Tiger and up have USB UPS drivers built-in and it works great right out of the box. :apple:

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I'm just about to get a ups for my mac pro and drobo, from my research, the 1500va units are the best choice for mac pro users.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

It over-estimates what you need, and is based on worst case/high estimates. There's no consideration for power saving features,... that exist in modern hardware.

Think of it this way, the higer the value it produces, the higher the value a purchaser will likely go for = higher $$$ sale for APC. ;) You could end up with a unit that's more than you need.

As it happens, 1500VA is quite nice for MP's (or any workstation). I run a bunch of drives in RAID + backup (17 total), and the BR1500LCD provides me with ~22 minutes of battery time.

7. TheHumphries macrumors member

It might help you. I didn't say it was the bible, but getting points of reference is always good. :)

Personally I prefer Tripp-Lites. I believe they have a config tool as well but don't have it offhand.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Understandable, but the last time I used it, it was WAY over what was needed (I've used UPS's for almost 20 yrs).

Best to take APC's calulator values with a few grains of salt, and ask users that have no financial stake in any recommendations if possible. ;) And MR happens to be a good source for such information. :D

As it happens, the surge suppressor I'm using with the APC UPS is a Tripp Lite. Both have been around awhile, and are generally well known. Its the newer manufacturers I'm not as familiar with, but getting into the specs, I'm not thoroughly impressed either (i.e. Cyber Power for example).

9. TheHumphries macrumors member

I agree that the newer ones aren't the same type of quality nor the offered options and replacement batteries that you get from APC or Tripp. The cost might be lower but 3 years down the road when you really need your UPC to work, i'd put my money on it failing.

Def stick w/ APC or Tripp.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I definitely agree with this. At least with APC or Tripp Lite, you can get replacement batteries. Especially if the continuous models are used (always run off the batteries, never switching between the wall power and batteries as the consumer units are).

11. knowhate, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

knowhate thread starter macrumors regular