Deleteing MobileMe Trial deleted all my contacts!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reefbone, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reefbone macrumors regular

I had stopped my trial offer today then got some pop up message on my phone today and not being able to connect so I thought I'd go ahead and remove the mail account from my phone. Bad idea. It deleted ALL my contacts at the same time ! ! Couldn't believe it. Called Apple and the guy was pretty sure there wasn't anything that could be done. After holding 5-10 minutes he came back and confirmed this. Last time I backed up was when 4.1 cam out.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When deleting Mobile Me from your iDevice, it asks you to Keep the Data on the phone, or Delete it once Mobile Me has been removed.

3. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

If you've done a backup you might want to try and restore from backup.

Edit. Which I see you say that the last time you backed up was when 4.1 came out. Which isnt' too far back so you'd only be missing contacts from the 4.1 backup.

4. Reefbone thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't ask that or give any warning.

Brilliant.. who would of thought of that?

5. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Well, you never said that you tried, just that you called Apple and they said there was nothing you could do.

Sometimes the obvious gets missed. :p

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

7. Reefbone thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so maybe I did get a warning message but messages like that always pop up just to confirm you selected 'delete'.

That screen shot shows calendar but if I did get a similar warning then it's a poorly written error message. If data is going to be deleted it should be more clear or have a second notice.

Sorry for my flippant answer. I'm kinda pissed and took it out on you. I did mention I backed up when 4.1 was released but I'm at the office and I'll have to go home to sysnc.

I'm a Systems Analyst and I used to do some development so it's not like I'm a total noob.

8. mrathee macrumors 6502

APPLE STOLE MY DATA!

err.. nevermnd...

--

MobileMe warns you that the data needs to be backed up and by deleting your account the data on MM that is not backed up by you will be gone forever.

How do I know this? I read prompts that pop up on my screen and I read the FAQ for new products. I know, its a really far fetched idea to do something like that.

--

Restore from a backup and you will have your contacts and all back. Next time, read the prompt.

9. Reefbone thread starter macrumors regular

The warning was not that plain and straight forward
    So glad some internet d bag scolded me today. I feel I'm a better person for it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

I agree that warning is badly worded and doesn't indicate what is actually being deleted. I think Apple has a few things to work on with their user interface and deleting things. I synced my iPad the other day and it removed all the apps from the device after it backed it up. I was able to get the apps back (it had backed them up), but all their data was gone.
    It was a minor problem compared to what happened to you, but I think the device should give better warning before deleting data.

12. ericlin0122 macrumors member

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Doubt it.

Here are the facts that we know so far:
    1. Systems Analyst
    2. Doesn't backup
    3. Doesn't read/consider warning messages adequately
    4. Blames world for data loss

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I use it. Works for me. Different strokes for different folks.

15. mrathee macrumors 6502

+1

Not sure how it is confusing for a systems analyst if a kid in college can figure it out.

If you are deleting something that manages your contacts and calendar entries, and it asks you whether you want to "Keep or delete existing local calendars on the phone" - how did you not put 2 and 2 together and realize that it was asking you to keep/delete the data it manages?

"The warning was not that plain and straight forward" - Did you read anything on the FAQ when you set up the trial? You work with computers and you cant figure out that a web based service that houses and syncs your data will delete said data when you delete your account.

"So glad some internet d bag scolded me today. I feel I'm a better person for it" - post an issue in a forum and be surprised when you get replies showing you that you didnt read the blatantly obvious warning prior to encountering the issue. good thing you're learning from your mistake. Oh wait.

And it needs 2 prompts?

Should it pop a second dialog box that says: "Did you really read that last one? Here read this again: Are you reaaaallly sure you want to delete this data?"

Give me a break.

16. mrathee macrumors 6502

hmm:

You were given answers and you acted like a smartass to people that helped. So, instead of taking the solution and saying thanks i'll try it, you went the "know it all prick" way.

And as for the "your comments they aren't helpful" bit, my first post read:
    Get off your high horse and either bite the bullet or take the solutions offered. And next time, read the prompt. (x3)

17. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Yes, it ****ing did.

Oh! Because would of sounds like would've, they mean exactly the same thing.

18. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Yep...and it was a funny thread actually;)

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yup this topic did indeed already happen. So I'm gonna close this one.

Please direct your inquiry in that thread.

And kids. Please refrain from going off-topic. Ok ?

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.