Deleting a striped RAID set erases both disks??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Morshu9001, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Morshu9001 macrumors regular

I have a striped RAID set that is composed of two equally-sized partitions on separate HDDs, but those HDDs have OTHER partitions on them. I want to erase only the data on the striped RAID partitions.

When I press the button in Disk Utility to delete the RAID set, it says that it erases the data on both disks. Does it erase all data on both partitions, or does it wipe each HDD fully? I'm afraid to press the OK button. It would suck if it killed my other partitions.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

As a safety net you should always have a backup if you erase or partition disks.

What do you want here, you want to keep the Raid but just erase the dat on it and use it as a raid again?
    If this is the case it is safer to just delete the files by trashing them or use terminal commands to erase the files.

Another idea is, do you have a bootable backup of the system on one or both of the non Raid Volumes, if so you could boot from it and then erase the disk, if it erases the HD it will give you an error saying you are not allowed to since you try to erase the boot disk.

But, again, if you want to do this 100% safely you need to backup those partitions which you want to keep.

I always have another backup so if it erases evrything I still have a backup.

3. Morshu9001 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing I have on the other partitions is important, but I don't want to accidentally wipe them all out just because it's annoying. It's all meaningless data or data I have elsewhere. Plus, I don't have anywhere to back the partitions up temporarily.

I want to wipe the partitions used in the striped RAID, remake the striped RAID, and install Mac OS on it. It's a bootup drive that won't boot anymore due to some corruption, and I've backed up its data. Just trashing stuff in Finder might not work well, especially since it seems to have some mutant files with no names and weird data on them.

The idea of booting from a partition on the same HDD as the RAID set is a good one. Actually, I'll just open an app on one of those partitions, and it shouldn't be able to unmount if the app is open.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That's another option, didn't think of it, you can easily test this by trying to repair a drive, it won't unmount if it's busy so it also should not be erased if it's busy.

5. Morshu9001, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

Morshu9001 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not too easy to test anything anymore. I took the PCI card GPU out to clean it since it was super dirty and noisy, but now, I have no idea how to slide the thing back in. Onto a different thread for now...

Anyway thanks for the help. Once I can boot this again, I'm trying that.