Deleting Accounts without System Preferences

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AcesHigh87, Nov 1, 2013.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Ever since upgrading to Mavericks Mail hasn’t worked for me at all. The light comes on under the app but it immediately goes to not responding. Maybe if I leave it for a few hours it’ll work, I’m not sure.

I believe this problem stems from the way Internet Accounts are now handled within Mavericks. This thought comes from the fact that when I go into accounts in System Prefs the window hangs for ages before eventually bringing me in with most of my accounts missing and only iCloud stating it’s hooked up to Mail. I can add new accounts but it will crash if I try to sync Mail with them.

What I want to try, unless someone has a better idea, is cleaning out all my accounts and re-doing them. Problem is I don’t want to use System Prefs since it keeps crashing. Could it just be a preference file to trash or something maybe?

For now I’m going to try using Thunderbird for my emails. I don’t like it as much but apple completely broke their mail app for me so until they patch it or I can get some news on how to get it working I need an alternative.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

to delete mail accounts :

Quit Mail.

Go to ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Move to Trash the "Accounts.plist"

Launch Mail.

However, when an app keeps crashing on launch, you should first test it in an other account.

So I suggest you test Mail in an other account and let us know how it works.

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I will do that, will just have to create a second account in order to do so. Just out of curiosity:

Let’s assume I trash the Accounts.plist file (which does seem to be the culprit at over 30mb), will it affect anything else on my machine or just need me to re-input my mail accounts information? Just curious.

Edit: Rather than taking the time to create a new account I backed up the accounts.plist file and deleted it. Upon opening mail I seem to have no issues. Mind you no accounts are set up but it does appear that was my issue. I’m fine setting accounts up again if that’s all it takes.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This will affect nothing else, and yes you will just need to re-input your mail accounts infos.