Deleting all Data on an iPad with nonworking screen

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MaisieDobbs, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MaisieDobbs macrumors newbie

My daughter's iPad screen under the glass died/broke... just doesn't work. It's completely white. She cannot do ANYTHING on the device.

It was more cost-efficient to buy an Air than to fix the old one.

That said, we we would like to sell the old one. However, we need to wipe/delete/erase everything on it. Is there a way to do that when we cannot see anything on it?

Thanks for any help!

2. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

Connect it to a pc / mac and reset it via itunes.

3. rigormortis, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

As long as it turns on and can connect to wifi or cellular you can order the iPad to erase itself by going to https://www.icloud.com/

If you do it this way, make sure you also remove it from your iCloud account using the same web page.

If you do not remove it from your iCloud account then the next owner can't activate it

If you order it to erase itself and remove it from iCloud, then whenever the iPad is turned on and if it has a chance to connect to wifi or cellular it will self destruct.

If it's a cellular model with a data plan it will self destruct immediately as soon as it is turned on and booted up

If it's a wifi iPad and locked with a pin code, as soon as it connects to a wifi hotspot it knows about and has connected to before , it will self destruct.

Apple will save your little suicide packet for whenever that iPad is repaired to the point it can connect to wifi

So technically as long as you erase and remove it from iCloud.com it's safe to give away because it is still locked by a passcode. It will just self destruct whenever it gets repaired

----------

That will not work. The screen is not functional and he has no way to turning off find my iPhone.

Maybe a dfu would work.

Erase requires find my iPhone off and reset iPhone does not ????

I think erasing it from www.icloud.com would be as easy and doesn't require the iPad to be operational

As far as I know it is impossible for iTunes to turn off find my iPhone