Deleting an application after mac crashes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cq.spac, Jul 31, 2009.

1. cq.spac macrumors newbie

So my Mac Pro crashed after I installed and used an application (MacTheRipper) which enabled me to rip videos off of DVDs. I was then using Final Cut Pro and Live Type after for my video project when my Mac continued to crash and soon it won't load anything past the blue screen of death.

I attempted to boot up my system in safe mode, but still nothing. And after going through it in single user mode, I still have no luck. At the current moment it seems that my OS has decided to restart itself and now I am in the current process of resetting up my mac. But it's way too slow (taking about an hour or more to load up each panel).

So I was wondering if it's possible to delete an application when your Mac has crashed? If so, how?

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Mind telling us the name of the app? Was it MacTheRipper? Handbrake?

When during startup do you get a kernel panic?

3. cq.spac thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

You can easily enough delete an application via the terminal interface when either booted from the install disc or in single user mode.

That said, MacTheRipper isn't the cause of the problems you're describing--it can't be. I'm not entirely sure from your description whether you're trying to reinstall the OS and it's running incredibly slowly, or if you finally got it to boot and it's running very slowly, but either way if it's been restarted at least once it has nothing to do with MacTheRipper.

Depending on which of the above situations you're in right now it sounds like either a corrupted OS install or you have a failing hard drive. If you haven't already, you might try booting from the discs that came with it and running Disk Utility to check the drive, and/or running the Apple Hardware Test off those discs to see if it reports any hardware problems.