Deleting an application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Feb 7, 2010.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

I purposely deleted the Mail application from my Macbook. Went into Finder and moved the app icon to trash can. I thought this would do the trick, but now it randomly shows up on the toolbar but won't open. How do I get rid of this thing?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You mean it is in the Dock? If so, just drag it out of the Dock and it will go away.

One question though, why are you deleting it?

3. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

No, the icon doesn't show up on the dock, just the toolbar portion like you would see on Safari or Finder. I don't know why it even shows up at all if I deleted it.

I'm using Entourage and when the email accounts were set up the same emails go to Mail which I don't use. The other user has web-based email and I don't want her accessing my emails remotely.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Alright. Why not remove the accounts from Mail? But anyway.

Mind posting a screenshot. I don't know what you mean by toolbar.

5. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

The top of the page. For example you are on Safari. When you switch to iPhoto then the iPhoto toolbar shows up on top, or Finder, etc.

In Finder, the mail icon is greyed out and I cannot open it but randomly the Mail toolbar shows up and I have to force quit to get rid of it.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That is the menu bar.

So, you deleted Mail, but it still shows up in /Applications, but is grayed out? And without you doing anything, Mail just appears in the menu bar?

Have you check Activity Monitor to see if Mail is still running? Did you make Entourage your default mail program so that when you click a mailto link it will open in Entourage? If you are clicking links they may be trying to open Mail, which could be causing your problem.

And again, why don't you just remove the accounts from Mail instead of deleting it?

7. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, played around with it and got it to "un-grey" then deleted it, then deleted it from trash. Thanks

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Mind posting how you "played around with it" for the next person who comes along and wants to delete Mail for no good reason?