Deleting an item in the trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inscrewtable, Nov 2, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I just discovered by accident that if you delete an item that is already in the trash, that is press the cmd + delete key, or the trash icon in the Finder, then the item disappears from the Trash and reappears where it was before it was put into the Trash in the first place as well as opening a new Finder window so you can see it.

It happened because I did not realise I had the Trash open, I thought it was a Finder window and there were a few items that I thought I already deleted but forgot. It took me a few minutes to work out what was happening.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To restore items from the Trash, you can also click the Trash icon to open it and then drag the item out of the Trash, or select the item and choose File > Put Back.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is this posted as a tip?
    That's not gonna work in every version of OSX. What version are you using?

4. inscrewtable, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Yeah it was posted as a tip. 10.8.2

Naturally I used to drag items accidentally or otherwise deleted out of the trash to my Desktop and then work out what to do with them after. But with the trash icon added to the menu bar on the trash, just a press of the button puts it back and opens a Finder for it as well which I thought was kinda neat.

True, but I never saw the 'put back' menu item. It's handy to know as it's not very intuitive. A bit like how the Cmd + Tab shortcut to scroll through the Apps has a reverse mode Cmd + Tilde which is documented but not widely known.