Deleting and restoring a Wordpress theme

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Feb 2, 2012.

1. torndownunit, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

torndownunit macrumors regular

If I delete a theme (only the theme), and then upload it at a later date (a backed up copy) will it work fine?

I have a client who has broken a payment contract. I have put their site in maintenance mode, but I would like to remove the theme I heavily customizes as well in case they figure out how to access the Wordpress install. If payment comes through, I'd like to be able to quickly restore it though. SO basically I just want to get the files of the server temporarily.

I'd like to do the same with the 'uploads' folder as well because that is where most of the graphics I worked on are stored.

Can I just delete both temporarily, and upload them later if I leave the databases and the rest of the Wordpress files?

Thanks

2. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

Yes, you can delete these files and upload them later. As long as you don't touch the data, your safe. And really if you want to be doubly safe, take a download of the database too. That way if someone else tries to "FIX" it, and they end up busting it worse, you can restore to a clean working version of the site. Just remember you will need any plugins that your theme might depend on too.