Deleting Aperture library after migration to Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Razdom, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Razdom macrumors member

Hi,

I have migrated my Aperture library to Photos and have removed Aperture from my Mac, but I still have both Aperture and Photos libraries left in my Pictures folder. I was about to delete my Aperture library but then read this from the Apple Support site:

"When you migrate a photo library from iPhoto or Aperture, the Photos app creates a new library structure but doesn't duplicate your images. Instead, Photos saves disk space by creating links to the original and preview versions of your images."

"After you migrate your iPhoto or Aperture library to Photos, you might feel tempted to delete your original iPhoto or Aperture library. Because the migrated library takes little additional space, you don't need to delete the original library."

But I want to delete my Aperture library! But if I do that, it looks as though I'll lose my original images? How do I store them in the Photos library instead, so that I can delete my Aperture library?

Apologies if this has already been answered.

2. b.c. macrumors 6502

I think this article gives a good explanation of what happens when converting an iPhoto Library to a new Photos Library - same should go for an Aperture Library (unified Aperture & iPhoto libraries)

in short, the conversion creates hard links to the library contents in two places: in the old and the new libraries. Deleting the old library doesn't delete the original files, just that particular hard links from the old library. These hard links behave differently than the more familiar Finder aliases (soft links)

I've been playing around with a copy of my Aperture/iPhoto library on a second Mac - I converted it to Photos, and I confirm that later deleting the old Aperture or iPhoto library does NOT delete the original files - the originals all seem to be there in the new Photos Library. I see that I can even find photos edited previously in iPhoto and revert to the original version from within Photos. So everything seems to be safely there even after deleting the old Library