deleting app and reinstalling vs update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by a10495, Jul 14, 2015.

1. a10495 macrumors newbie

Hello guys! been reading in the back for a while and just finally decided to make an account (correct me if i post in the wrong place please) but i recently had to delete my snapchat app and re download it because it was buggy (snapchat advised me to do that ). I was thinking if i didn't install the update and just deleted the app and reinstalled it (because the new version would have the update packed in it) would that take the same amount of space or less assuming its all packed into one and you're not adding more updates to an app?

thanks sorry if this is a dumb question but i was just really curious about that.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

When you are updating it doesn't really add on to the app necessarily, it changes it to the latest version with whatever the size that corresponds to that version. Deleting and app and reinstalling it does clear out the cache with temporary data stored in it that various apps have, so in that sense it would often decrease the space that is used by the app.