Deleting apps bundled with OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LoneWolf121188, Jun 18, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Man, 160GB just isn't enough...what apps that come preinstalled are OK to delete? Keynote and Pages seem like two good contenders, as they take up a combined 2GB and I use MS Office anyway. Can I just delete the iWork folder without messing anything up? Anything else you recommend to get rid of?

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Yes, you can just simply drag the iWork folder to the trash. Just make sure you have the original installation DVD/CD if you decide to reinstall later.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Depends... I know that I'll never use GarageBand, iPhoto, iDVD, or iMovie on my MB (they're all on my iMac, however). So I did an "Erase & Install" for a fresh install that took out all of those apps.

If you wanna manually get rid of Garageband, note, the storage savings isn't in the app itself, but in all the stored loops (roughly 1GB or so, or was it more?!). I honestly forget which folder it's in and er, I don't have it to check anymore either. :eek: I'm sure someone else will drop in and say where it is, though.

:edit: Thanks swiftaw. :eek:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Good point, those can be huge.

6. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've used it on my MacBook. About a gig of savings between that and deleting printer files, if I remember.

8. portent macrumors 6502a

A warning...Don't delete Safari, or Mail, even if you don't use them. They're used to control system preferences, and they're a pain to get back if you've deleted them.

Probably shouldn't delete QuickTime Player, either.