Resolved Deleting apps off rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveh552, Apr 9, 2015.

1. steveh552, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

steveh552 macrumors regular

Today I decided I wanted to start deleting some apps off my rMBP which has the latest 10.10.3 update. When I go into my Launchpad and click on the the apps and the blink, some have the little X next to them and I can remove them. Others like Firefox for example does not. I am logged in as admin but I cannot figure out how to remove some of these apps from my computer. Anyone have any advice?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Delete them from your Applications folder, or as I do, use Clean my Mac 3.

3. steveh552 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for that, I don't know why I did not think of trying that directly.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just go into your Applications folder in Finder and drag them to the trash.

5. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

First of all, stay clear from clean my mac (mackeeper etc.) or any sh$$$ advertised in the internet! This is OSX not Windows. Just delete the thing. You want to go really deep with cleaning visit Preferences folder in Library (Google for detailed instructions) - it's not usually required but low quality apps may leave some prefs and files behind.

The only tool I can recommend for cleaning your caches is Onyx (freeware).

6. wksj macrumors member

Use AppCleaner http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
    It is a very simple app. Moving to Trash from Applications folder usually does not get rid of everything related to the app you're deleting.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. True.
    And even AppCleaner (I use it myself btw) does not get rid of everything. So, if you want to remove an app completely, use EasyFind to find all the leftovers.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

And? Apart from the trivial amount of space such left-overs take up, once the app is gone and not executing what actual harm can/do these Application Support etc files do?

Just after some examples here, I've only ever had one and the effort to troubleshoot and resolve was miniscule next to the effort to remove ALL traces of any apps deleted...

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've been using Clean my Mac for years. It works as advertised. Easy, convenient and thorough. I don't like to leave crap files lying around, even if the storage they take up is trivial.

I've used Clean my Mac 1, 2 and 3. 3 is the best one yet.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

User needs and habits differ. Some do not care if there are leftovers, the system is not clean and organized. Others don't like to leave behind folders and files of alredy uninstalled applications, thus keeping the system clean and organized. It is a free choice.