Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
I have been downloading a plethora of apps from the net alately. A lot of them i've got bored with and deleted. But I know there are bits and bats associated with those programmes all over the computer. Is there an add/remove process like on windows that I can use to rid myself of left over bits?

Please let me know what directories i should go to and delete what??

Thanks

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mac apps are pretty much selfcontained but there might be a few preference files left lying around. It's nothing like Windows and leaving things lying around the registry and shortcuts in the start menu.

Have a look in ~/Library/Preferences and see if there are any pref files in there which have the name of the app in them. You could also do a Spotlight search on the name of the app and see if it finds any references lying around.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Like the above poster said, there might be preferences lying around. What i do is use the search feature in finder and delete any folder attached to the preference pane and any other files you think should not be there like pdf files and etc. But first delete the preference files because they are contained in there usually, then repeat search.

It really does become easy, also if there is an app that used that vise installer you can rerun that and it usually gives you an uninstall option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.