Deleting apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello All

I want to delete apps from my laptop, Usually Id do it like the ipad so just keep on pressing on it from the apps place and delete it, and empty recycle bin but I cant do that to some apps, How can I delete an app from Lion OSX? And is deleting apps just like the ipad actually deleting them or just taking them out of the applications folder or whatever ?

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Not all of your apps can be delete from launchpad or from the dock, this is as they have been install through the App Store. Instead you need to open the applications folder in finder and then drag the unwanted app to the recycle bin and confirm via password.

Edit: Yes, simple dragging to the recycle bin will be adequate to delete the app

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I see thanks :D Just one more thing I recall doing that but sometimes still seem to find remains in the Hard Drive, usually not the whole thing just some contents or what not.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Just dragging an app to the trash isn't adequate enough for the majority of applications. You first want to check if there is an uninstaller for the specific app you wanna delete, if there isn't then use this AWESOME software. You select the app within the software and it will find all the corresponding files that belong to the app you wanna delete. Then hit delete and it will be completely deleted.

Jeez I said app alot haha.

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

5. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

You know what love is? Its what I feel for you man thanks for that app :D All that I need :D

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Applications like appcleaner do not remove everything.

The best way to do it is to find the files yourself. There are links on the forum, try a search.

7. simsaladimbamba, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

simsaladimbamba

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner and AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

10. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank Youu :D