Resolved Deleting Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SayCheese, Oct 19, 2015.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    A quick question. My mac like all macs came with iMovie, Garage band and some other apps I don't need or use.
    If I delete them from my HD will I be able to re-download them from the App store in future if I find a need for them? Or are they gone forever?

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Yes you can, just check for yourself by going to the Purchased tab in the App Store and you'll see the apps in that list.

3. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to expand on what mgroot said a bit. Before you delete them make extra sure you check to see them in your purchased list before you delete them.

What happens is when you get a new Mac those apps are already installed on there, but they won't be in your purchased list until you login to the App Store with your AppleID and "claim" the free apps. Once you have done that they will show in your list.

5. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

You put it a bit better than I did @Weaselboy but I did mean the same about the checking! ;)

6. Weaselboy, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry.... I did not mean to come across as critical of your response as you covered it well. I just wanted to emphasize how if you delete those apps before "claiming" them you are kind of screwed. :eek:

7. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

No need to be sorry, I didn't take it as critical for even a nano-second! It was a good expansion on my answer!