Deleting blurry photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by timmillwood, Apr 24, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Is there a program that can detect blurry photos in iPhoto and delete them, save me going through them.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I don't think so.

Sharpness is just a perception of close high contrast. Lots of picture however don't have that or want it. Plus there is your DOF. Do you want the thing to delete all your awesome shots will a small DOF, just because less than 10% of the image is 'in focus'?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Such software does exist. But it is in the context of scientific grade image processing. (designed by and for scientists and engineers) Not really consumer grade ease of use.

The first step in my work flow is "delete the garbage", stuff that I know I will never want and don't even want burn on the first backup CD. Next I do a more careful grading.

4. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

While shooting digital has led us to believe that convenience is king, I feel that going through a shoot and editing out the bad shots and briefly thinking about why you're deleting them can really improve your eye. It also helps you figure out what focal lengths you tend to get good photos at when you're considering lens upgrades.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd have to agree.

6. darkgoob macrumors 6502

Still looking...

I'm still looking for a program like this. A lot of older Nikon point-and-shoot cameras had a "best shot selector" mode where the camera would automatically compare a sequence of images and delete the blurry ones.

I don't understand why today's computers can't do this.

-=DG=-

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

A lot of newer Nikons have release mode settings for the autofocus systems. I changed my continuous servo release mode to focus from release (default) and my percentage of keepers went way up, at least for focus issues. Are you sure you've made the right choice in that area?