Deleting boot-camp Win7 partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xylian, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Xylian macrumors member

Hi,
    just a quick question.... creating and then removing a Win7 partition, restoring the initial single-OSX partition layout does not have any impact on my OSX installation, right? There should be no risk for my OSX installation, but I want to have your confirmation before proceeding with the installation of Win7 on my MBP.

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

Don't see why it would? i installed windows 7 just fine on my MBP using bootcamp and it works fine? both osx and win7 (when i decide to boot up in it)

3. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Iif you decide to remove the bootcamp partition, is the OSX partition automatically enlarged to the original size?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Boot Camp Assistant will non-destructively create and remove the Windows partition, leaving your OS X partition intact. However things can and do go wrong, so you should always have at least one verified backup just in case even with non-destructive partitioning.

B

5. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

I have time-machine backup and a full image of my HD made with Carbon Copy Cloner... a small OT question: if I loose my HD and reinstall Snow Leopard, then the Time Machine backup allows me to recover everything or only documents and settings (requiring me to re-install all the applications such as Photoshop etc)?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Great!

In principle TM will allow you to recover the entire system. However last time I tried it from bare metal from the TM backup on my HP Mediasmart server, my iMac would not boot after the restore so I ended up restoring from my CCC backup.

B

7. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Just another question about the restore procedure: let's say that I have a one month old CCC clone of my HD, and a Time Machine backup which is updated every week, can I restore my HD from the CCC backup and then restore more recent data from the Time Machine backup? What should be the procedure to follow in this case?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That sounds like the right way to go. Is your CCC backup bootable or an image file? It makes life a lot easier to have some external device you can boot your Mac(s) off of instead of having to reinstall OS X from DVD.

B

9. diceman664 macrumors newbie

boot camp partition

wat up guys im new to this site n i have a problem. i ran boot camp thinking i was gonna go buy windows and install it but i dont have the money to. i want to delete the 60gb partition but i accidently deleted the boot camp assisstant and i dont have the cd with the applications on it. so i any of you guys know how to fix it lemme know. i just want my 60gb back on my macintosh hd thanks. Nick:)

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you re-run Boot Camp Assistant, it should give you the option to remove the partitioned space for Windows and enlarge the Mac OS X partition to retake that space.

11. diceman664 macrumors newbie

but i dont have the dvds with the applications on em so i was wondering if i could find the boot camp assisstant on the internet somewere?

12. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Boot Camp Assistant is part of OS X. It should be found in the Utilities folder. Did you remove it?

If you don't have it, you can use Disk Utility to remove the partition and enlarge the Macintosh HD partition manually.