deleting bootcamp partition without boot camp assistant on tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whitemac2, Feb 4, 2008.

1. whitemac2 macrumors member

i have a bootcamp partition on my macbook but i am running tiger and no longer have the boot camp assistant and there is nowhere to download the 1.4b is there any way to delete the partition without having the assistant?

2. Spievy macrumors regular

Good Question. Not sure though.

Does Disk Utility show 2 partitions?

Hope you don't have to reformat the drive to delete the partition.

3. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

disk utilities does show both bootcamp and mac osx partitions. i really would like to delete the partition becuase i dont use it, that and i havent even installed windows on the partition so its like half my disk not even being used.

4. Spievy macrumors regular

Long shot but worth a look

If you still have the 10.5 Leopard disc. Boot on the disk and see if you can remove the boot camp partition there, without reinstalling 10.5 and without wiping your whole drive.

5. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

when i got my macbook, it came with leopard but didnt come with the disk, i partitioned the disk and then went back to tiger with the disk partitioned.

so now i have half of the disk partitioned and i cant delete it becuase i dont have bootcamp asitant and cant download bootcamp 1.4b or anything so i dont know what to do

6. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

7. Spievy macrumors regular

I was doing some research for you and it looks like people were having a similar problem when the "BETA" boot camp expired. I believe you are supposed to do this in the terminal

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM A DIFFERENT SITE I HAVE NOT TRIED IT
    START QUOTE
    You do not need Boot Camp Assistant to partition your drive. Start with:

sudo diskutil list

to see what the device for your startup disk is. It is probably /dev/disk0s3

sudo diskutil resizeVolume /dev/disk0s3 100G "MS-DOS" "Windows" 50G

That will split your disk (/dev/disk0s3) so that you have 100G for Mac and a new DOS-format partition named "Windows" that is 50 G. Change the sizes and device name as you see fit for your situation.

Of course, if you want to really setup Windows, you do need those Windows device drivers...
    END QUOTE

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/23/apple-no-more-boot-camp-downloads-for-you

Looks like this can be reversed so that your windows partition becomes non existent. Like I said I have not tried this, I would defiantly back up your HD before trying this.

Can someone verify if this works??? :confused::confused: