deleting emails from server vs Mail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamMustafa, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SamMustafa macrumors newbie

I use the Apple Mail client for my Mac, and I have the preferences for my account set to :

"Remove Copy from Server after retrieving a message."

But for some reason my iPhone doesn't get it. Even though I've retrieved emails on my Mac, the next time I open my email on the iPhone, it downloads all those emails again, anyway.

How can I get the iPhone to recognize that the Apple Mail client has removed emails from the server?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

First off, make sure the Mac and the iPhone are using something like IMAP or Excahnge, not POP3.

This will keep the In-boxes of your Mac and your iPhone synced and identical.

Next, if I understand you correctly, you'll want to create a new folder in Mail on your Mac. (One on the Mac alone, NOT on the server.) Call it 'Home Inbox' or something like that. Then create a rule that sends a copy of all new mail to 'Home Inbox' and then erases it from the real inbox.

So when you get mail the Mac and the iPhone will both get a copy in their inboxes. Then the Mac's rules will copy it to the Home Inbox folder and remove it from the inbox. That change will sync back to the iPhone and remove it from the phone's inbox.

What e-mail service is this? Can it be setup with push Exchange? That's probably your best bet to make all this happen quickly.