Deleting emails

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdrgold, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cdrgold macrumors member

Hi all

My Mother purchased an iPad 2 today and I have spent the day setting up emails for her. When I set up all of the email accounts, the iPad was flooded with emails. There is literally thousands of emails, many of which have been read and deleted before on the previous computer. I was just wondering if there is any simple way to delete all of the emails, instead of clicking on them one by one to delete them.

many thanks in advance

2. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

You can press the Edit button and select multiple mails to delete. That is the most efficient way to deal with deleting multiple emails on the iPad (or any iOS device). You still have to select each mail one by one though. There is not a method to delete all emails at once. Sort of a pain sometimes, I know.

3. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Wow, that is a pain. Just added up all of the emails, there is a total of 8681. Looks like I will have to spend a good few hours deleting them.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

what email provider does she use?

See if u can switch her settings to IMAP instead of POP3 this way it will keep emails in sync.

There might be a limit u can set in ipad settings but it depends on the email provider and how its configured.

5. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

The accounts are ntlworld accounts (taken over by Virgin Media).

How would I go about doing this?

6. kalex macrumors 65816

7. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

I just did a Google search and they do, apparently

8. kalex macrumors 65816

ok. so remove pop accounts from her ipad, also change mail settings on her desktop client if she uses it to imap. then what i suggest is you go in and clean up old emails on her desktop client. after you prune it, add the accounts on ipad and it should work. I'm not sure if u can limit number of days to sync on imap accounts. I have my email accounts connect via exchange and i can limit those to 3 days on my ipad or even less

9. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. I will give that a go later. I hope it works

10. shandyman Suspended

yea my parents are on virginmedia and on re-installing their windows machine, outlook filled up with 2,000 emails, looks like VirginMedia's settings by default leave the mail on the server as opposed to deleting when it's deleted on the PC, so make sure you do that as well as setting it up on IMAP on the iPad.