Deleting emails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CBX, Oct 30, 2007.

1. CBX macrumors regular

Using Leopard and Mail.

Under Trash I have 'POP Account' and 'On My Mac'

When I select a message and press delete I get a warning saying:

The message ... could not be moved to the mailbox “Deleted Messages — POP Account”

The destination mailbox “Deleted Messages — POP Account” does not allow messages to be moved to it.​

I can drag a message to the 'On My Mac' folder and select delete and this removes the email - but seems wrong.

This is my first mac (first day), im used to a deleted message going to a bin which you choose to empty as and when.

Can anyone help me out how i should be deleting emails?

Thanks!

2. whippet macrumors newbie

deleted emails

have same problem. by unccheckingthe trash box in preferences it allows delete but only deletes them after restarting mail. i want to keep my deleted email but no longer possible. happened under tiger as well

3. whippet macrumors newbie

i should mention when working correctly its the same as you described on your previous pc

4. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

5. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

mail bug?

i am also having the same sort of problem: deleting.

hopefully this gets addressed by apple, i wanted to use mail but seems like my thunderbird is still the way to go :(

6. logmonkey macrumors newbie

RE: Deleting emails-fix

Okay, I found a work-around by fiddling around. I assuming this is for POP mail not IMAP.

Here's the steps I took.

1. Opened mail properties for that pop account, under mailbox behaviors, then TRASH. I unchecked the box next to "Move deleted messages to a seperate folder". Okay and close.

2. Found the pop account folder under trash for the account and deleted it.

3. Opened preferences back up and put the check mark back in...

4. Highlight a message in your inbox and click delete on toolbar. It should create a new folder and you should be okay.

Hope it helps....let me know.

7. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    I will give it a try when I get home and let you know!

8. SCSilverfox macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you for these instructions. I spent a couple of hours trying to find this information before I found this site. I have Snow Leopard and it is 2 1/2 years later since you have given these instructions. This worked for me. I would just change "properties "in #!. to "preferences" and also, in #2, I found the pop account folder for trash in the FINDER under HOME > LIBRARY > MAIL > MAILBOXES > 'THE POP ACCOUNT'> DELETED MESSAGES FOLDER. I can now delete messages properly.

When I look back in Finder, I now see a deleted messages mailbox rather than a deleted messages folder. I don't know what that means and I hope that doesn't cause future problems. But for now it is working.