Deleting erroneous Genres in iTunes 9...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacLadybug, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Can someone tell me how I can delete custom Genres that I am not using in iTunes9? My list has gotten long enough that it is annoying and I'm trying to get my library cleaned up.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of a way to delete unwanted genres, even in iTunes 8. If they're standard genres, you can't change them, AFAIK. If they're ones you created, they'll disappear when there are no songs that have that genre.

Are you talking about the drop-down list that you see when editing tag information:

Picture 2.jpg
    Or the genres that appear in the brower list when looking at your library:

Picture 3.jpg

3. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

If I go in to edit the genre in the "get info" section on a song/album, then I get this insanely long list of genres... default and custom ones. I'd like to delete the custom ones that I don't use. Is there a way to do that?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't believe you can. I've never heard of any method of getting rid of the default genres.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think it's mostly a question of how to delete custom ones. I have tons of custom genres (things like "Hip hop/Rap," "hip hop/ rap," and "Hip-Hop Rap"). I've gone through my entire music library and changed all the genres and made them "Hip-Hop/Rap" as it should be, yet the bad genres are still in the list.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The non-standard genres are easy to remove. As soon as you no longer have any song with the custom genre "Rap-Hip-Hop", for example, that genre will disappear from the drop-down list. It will remain as long as there is even one song in the library with that genre.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it won't. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do, but I have combed my iTunes library, tried making smart playlists, everything. But the genres with absolutely no songs or video files tied to them just don't disappear.

8. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Not sure as I don't have a copy of iTunes handy to try with, but I thought that the custom genres merely existed by virtue of there being songs with that genre tagged, i.e. if you edit all the relevant tracks such that a genre is not in use then unless it's one of the defaults I thought it disappeared. It's been so long since I did this that I might be completely wrong, in which case I apologise, but I thought it worth mentioning - worth a try!

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well can you guys check your iTunes and tell me which of these is the default:

Hip Hop/Rap
    or
    Hip-Hop/Rap

Blues
    or
    Blues/R&B

Books
    or
    Books & Spoken

Hard Rock
    Hardcore
    or
    Hardcore Metal

Indie
    or
    Indie Rock

R&B
    or
    R&B/Soul

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just tried it. I had a collection of songs with the custom genre "International".
    1. I clicked "Music" on the top left bar, to display my whole library
    2. I made sure I did not have only Duplicates showing
    3. I clicked the "Genre" column to sort by genre
    4. I selected a song and did "Get Info"
    5. I clicked the Genre drop-down and "International" was on the list.
    6. I then selected all the songs with "International" and did "Get Info"
    7. I changed the genre for all songs from the custom "International" to the standard "World" genre
    8. I then selected a single song and did "Get Info"
    9. I clicked the Genre drop-down and "International" was gone from the list.

If that doesn't work, you may have a corrupt library, permissions that need to be repaired, or something wrong with your iTunes installation.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Standard genres are in bold.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thank you!
    Boy now I feel silly. The genre in the iTunes music store is listed as Hip-Hop/Rap, but the default is Hip Hop/Rap, as you listed. I just went through my library and changed things to how they were listed in iTunes and assumed it was the default. Thanks for the clarification. I hope Apple fixes their mistake...

13. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I did that today trying to clean up my library, but the custom un-used genres still show up. I guess mines corrupt... now how do I fix that. Crap.

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm very antsy about my genres. Pretty much most of them are my custom ones. I don't use the drop down list nor have I found a reason to use it. I just type in the genre, I edit more than one track at a time anyway.

My genres are;

Rap/Hip-Hop
    Electronica
    Trance
    House
    Dance
    Pop
    Alternative
    Rock
    Orchestral
    Soundtrack
    Easy Listening
    New Age
    Jazz
    R&B
    Country
    Comedy
    Latin
    Ringtone
    Reggae
    Holiday

Oh, and then in my library that I use when I do dj mixes, the only different genres are Instrumental, and A Cappella.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's an example of an unused custom genre that still shows up?

16. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Alternative & Punk, AlternRock, Club, Acid Jazz and a few more I would like to remove from the list... Any ideas?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on Music, make sure you're not showing only duplicates, sort by Genre, find the songs that have those Genres and change them to something else. As soon as the last song with "AlternRock" has been changed to something else, AlternRock will disappear from the Genre list. If non-standard genres appear on your list, it's only because there is at least one item in your library with that genre.

18. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Thanks.

Thanks. That fixed it. Sorry I didn't comment sooner... had my hands full.