Deleting files from an SD card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spikeywan, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Guys,

I'm doing some stuff on SD cards. I deleted a folder, then tried to copy another folder onto it, and there wasn't enough space for it. So I deleted everything off the SD card, but there still wasn't enough space. :confused:

I gave up and put the card into a PC. That's when I realised what was going on...

The SD card had a load of files beginning with a '.' on it. When I deleted these with the PC, the space was available again.

So, it seems to come down to the fact that on my rMBP, I don't delete the files, I 'Move them to Trash'!! :rolleyes:

So, how do I delete stuff from an SD card with my rMBP? If I 'Empty Trash' will it clear the stuff off the SD card as well as the Mac? I'm not sure I want to empty the Mac's trash, but I certainly want to empty the SD card's trash - assuming it has one. Is there a way to just empty the SD card's trash?

What's the best way to go about removing stuff from an SD card with a rMBP?

Thanks.

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yes you have to empty the trash. for me anything i put in the trash is stuff i want deleted permanently. don't know why you'd keep a ton of stuff in the trash bin.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Trash is trash, if you move something from your HDD to the trash and then move something from the SD card to the trash then both items will show up in the trash. "Moving" something to the trash doesn't remove it from the device, it just marks them for deletion. They will continue to take of space until you empty the trash, at which time the files will be deleted.

The process of deleting items off your SD card isn't any different than any other device. The "trash" is not a place to store anything you want to keep, if you don't want to empty it and delete trashed items off your HDD then you're not using the trash properly.

4. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Why empty the trash unnecessarily though? It's not like it's going to attract rats. I've got 250 Gb free space at the moment, so I don't need to empty it for a while.

That one time you're looking for something important, and it turns up in the trash...

Anyway, how do I delete stuff from the SD card? Do I have to use rm?

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THINGS IN THE TRASH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DELETE THEM? :rolleyes:

Why NOT clear out the trash? Are you a troll? Beginning to think you are...

The "Trash" isn't some special folder. You shouldn't be moving items to the trash if you don't fully intend on deleting them.

You can use rm, sure. Or you could just use the trash for what it's intended.

Oh, and keep current backups of your computer using Time Machine to backup to an external drive, then you don't have to worry about "Oops, did I accidentally delete this super awesomely important file that I put in the Trash because I'm not using my computer properly?" :cool:

6. simsaladimbamba

Terminal:
    Code:
    rm -rf /Volumes/"drive-name"/.Trashes/`id -u`/*

7. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! :D

Don't you hate it when you get called a troll, just because you don't want to conform? ;)

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Just the other day I drove my car into the lake and it didn't float, why can't I use my car as a boat?!

It's not about not conforming, you simply don't seem to understand what the trash is for and how it works. You call that not conforming, I call it using a hammer as a screwdriver.