Deleting files from Time Machine [Advice Needed]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keniff, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

(Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2)

After a long time of trolling the net trying to find an answer to this question, I seem to be coming up against 'conflicting results' so as a last result I've decided to ask one of you lot.

Over the last 12 months or so, I've managed to fill up the "Backups.backupdb" file on the external HD to about 400GB.
    I'm pretty confident that I have all these files safely backed-up (in other other files) on the same external HD.

So, I thought I'd have a clear-out and get rid of the contents of this "Backups.backupdb" file on the external HD.

I followed the instructions on this page:
    http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/03/deleting-files-from-a-time-mac.html

Seems pretty clear enough, right?

So, I could see (after I did it), that when I entered into Time Machine (with the timeline and universe landscape backdrop) all the files had gone.
    But when I looked into the "Backups.backupdb" file on the external HD, the files were still there, so I highlighted them all, and placed them into the Trash.

I've not emptied the trash yet, but before I do, I just wanted to ask, was is this ok to do, or can it cause problems to just delete the files from the "Backups.backupdb" file on the external HD?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment within this process...

2. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Mods, please delete this now, as the problem has been solved - thanks