Deleting files results in LESS disk space

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jobewan, Oct 23, 2011.

1. jobewan macrumors newbie

Ok.

I know it seems impossible. It does to me. Two decades of PC use indicate to me that, when I delete files off of my hard drive, more space is available.

My MBP has been cruising along at about 114GB free disk space for months, rising and dropping slightly around this figure. I use Space Control to report disk space.

This weekend, it was suddenly down to about 90GB. That's when the madness started. The more I deleted - archive files, etc. - the less disk space was reported. Deleting and reinstalling Space Control has no effect. I was going to redo my Fusion virtual machines anyway, so I deleted them and reinstalled only the Windows VM, and I am down to a reports 57GB free.

WhatSize goes through the entire hard drive, but a quick tally indicates about 90GB used out of a possible 238GB. Nowhere near the limits.

This is insane. Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you deleted files, did you empty the Trash?

3. jobewan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have been deleting all along the way. I even sized down my Windows VM.

I should be up a good 15 to 18GB; instead I am down more than 30GB it seems.

4. jobewan thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the @#$%@#$ Mobile Backup for Time Machine. A new "feature" in Lion apparently.

I ran Terminal and executed the command:sudo tmutil disable local.

That's the end of that stupid noise.