Deleting Files = Skips Trash

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by legaleye3000, Oct 9, 2013.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

When I delete a file, it just deletes without going to trash. The trash shows empty. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

What steps are you performing to "delete" your files? Usually, I drag and drop a file to the trash icon in the Dock. It does not sound like that is what you are doing.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I click on a file, then hit command-delete. Before Mavericks, that ALWAYS sent the file to trash. Actually, I think it was doing it yesterday with Mavericks and all of a sudden today it stopped...

4. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

That keyboard shortcut still works for me. Is it possible that the files you are trying to delete are stored on a flash-drive or networked file server instead of your local machine? If the files are on a networked file server, they will not go to the trash and are deleted immediately.

Try repairing your disk permissions in Disk Utility.app

Your home directory should have a hidden ".Trash" folder. To make sure it is there, you can try opening Terminal.app and typing "ls -la .Trash"

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Even though trash shows empty (icon), in Terminal it shows a bunch of stuff. I'll try repairing permissions (again) and see if it fixes the problem. All files deleted were local.

6. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I've noticed the same bug. It's not damaging, but can be confusing.

7. northerngit macrumors member

This happened to me after upgrading from Mountain Lion. It's a pain, but can be fixed quite easily.

Open up Terminal.app, and enter:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Bear in mind, this will also remove any items currently in the Trash.

Now, create an empty folder or file on your Desktop, and drag it to your Trash icon. This will recreate the .Trash folder automatically.

If you're lucky, it will revert to expected behaviour and now display correctly when items are contained within!