Deleting Folder (Help needed!) Easy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxiboyita, Oct 30, 2010.

1. maxiboyita macrumors newbie

maxiboyita

Hey guys,

I have a problem, it is really irritating me.

This might have been asked before but I know how to solve this problem.

Problem:

One day for some reason I decided to make a folder of all my pictures on my HD, what I did was select All Images under SEARCH FOR in Finder (See attachment below) and selected all and put them in a new created folder I named: All pics. (see below, first picture)

Unfortunately Finder puts all the pictures in that folder (All pics), so that leaves me with a folder of 8GB pictures.

When I try to delete the folder by just dropping it in the Trash, it will delete all the pictures.

BUT I want to delete the (All pics) folder but keep the pictures, so like the put back function from the Trash. I don't wan't all the pictures in one folder, I want them where they were.

Can someone help me, it sounds really simple. But I can't get it to work. I want it how it was before.

Please help! Help is appreciated! I hope you understand what I mean...

Thank you!
    Picture below to show what I mean by the All images tab in Finder.

Attached Files:

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

AFAIK there isn't a "magic" put back command in OS X. If you want the pictures somewhere other than the All Pics folder you will have to select them (hold down the Shift key to select contiguously, hold down the Command to select non-contiguously) and then drag and drop them to the new location. After you've moved all the pictures out of the All Pics folder you'll be able to drag the All Pics folder to the trash and empty it. HTH

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is strange.

How did all the pictures end up in one folder?
    Have you actually used Command + I to open the GET INFO window on that "All pics" folder to see, if there is actually data inside?

The second screenshot you posted is not a folder, it is a saved search* for all image types. Have you somehow dragged all the images found via that saved search into that "All pics" folder?

*They are also called "Smart Folders":

And as DewGuy1999 already explained, to get the images back into their original location, if they are actually stored inside the "All pics" folder, you have to do it yourself.

4. maxiboyita thread starter macrumors newbie

maxiboyita

thank you guys, I appreciate you help.

So what I did, was use a smart folder finding all images on my computer. Then selected all pictures (Comand+A) and make a new folder called All Pics.

Most of the pictures I never sorted in folders, keep in mind those were all the pictures ever in my computer (e.g. JPEGs, downloaded images, all application images, every single type of image)

So what I'm doing now it kind of sorting them out in folders manually, it's a lot of work. Because before I never made any folders for them.

By "put back" feature I hoped I could delete the "All pics" folder without having to sort everything back again... I hope you guys understand what I mean, it's kind of hard to explain by typing and not showing.

I'll see what I do. Usually all my pictures I sorted out with IPhoto or Aperture, never make actual folders for them.

Thank you, any other tips you could give me?

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The only other thing I can think of is if you have a complete backup of your Mac prior to creating the All Pics folder arrangement you could restore your Mac from that backup effectively putting everything back the way it was.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Why not use iPhoto or Aperture to sort your pictures again? They'll be stored in the library folder, but if you want them in a Finder structure: import them all and then revert the library to a referenced system. I may be misunderstanding your issue, but that seems to be a simple solution.

7. Singlish macrumors newbie

I really don't think there's any magical button to sort pictures for you. Unless you have some form of backup, you'll probably have to do it manually.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I think its much worse than that, in that the OP has moved every single image. So not just his own pictures but every single image from any application, every icon that is a jpeg or a gif, every system file that is an image, etc etc. I'm amazed the Mac is still running, there must be some files that are critical and I'm amazed that iPhoto didnt break.

If the OP has a TM backup maybe he can revert the entire computer to how it was just before he committed OSX suicide.

Otherwise I think a complete re-install might be needed because the work involved putting all those files back where they came from will be immense and possibly completely impractical. For his own pictures, assuming he wants them he can keep that 8GB folder and over time reorg each photo to a logical place, maybe doing that within within iPhoto, and trashing all the unnneeded stuff of which there will be a huge amount.

Once I learned that the 'all images' smart search didn't just select user images but every single file including thousands of system files I switched that option off in preferences because the downside of accidentally deleting (or crazily moving) all those files is far outweighed by any possible benefit that could be obtained from seeing that "folder". If there are any. I cant think of any single reason you'd ever need to see every single image from any source on your Mac.

One thing that occurs, if the OP did a copy rather than a move he may be OK and have no need to do anything but although he hasnt described iPhoto (for example) breaking I presume it must have or he wouldnt be trying to move stuff back?

9. Keysmark macrumors member

Would you explain specifically how you turned that option off in preferences.

Thanks

OK I think I got it. Go to Finder/Preferences. Click on "Sidebar". Uncheck "All Images". Also All movies and all documents if you wish.

Keysmark

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also just drag the "saved searches" (also called Smart Folders) off the Sidebar.