Deleting gmail emails from ipad only not server

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tainted, Sep 15, 2010.

1. tainted macrumors newbie

Hello, I have gmail set up on push on my ipad. I have synced some folders on the ipad and I want to remove the mail so it doesn't show any more on the ipad, but i don't want to delete it from the gmail server.

Is this possible or do I have to delete from the server too? :confused:

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you archive the email in Gmail, it would remove it from your inbox. As long as you don't navigate to the "All Mail" folder on your iPad, it would not redownload the message to the device.

3. tainted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I don't really want to archive the mail - the two folders are sent mail and trash and I don't want to change their status on the gmail server. (yes, for naughty reasons :p )

4. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

oh, something naughty?! tell us more! :p

no really: what naughty things can you do with your gmail server? maybe I want to do it, too!

I have the same problem, not only when deleting a message on the ipad, but also when reading on the ipad (and thereby marking as read) - I mostly do not want my mails to be marked as read on my mac (sync through my gmail account). But now I start to hijack the thread, so I will stop here.

5. tainted thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well there are lots of naughty things to do with gmail but this isn't the place lol!

I was wondering if I turned off push on the ipad, deleted the mails from the ipad, then turned push back on would it delete them from the server as I turned it back on, or would they remain on the server?

6. tainted thread starter macrumors newbie

Just out of interest, when you turn push back on on the ipad, do you have to enter the gmail password at all? [​IMG]

7. Pat123 macrumors newbie

Yup, the moment your iPad "syncs" with the cloud (Google in this case), the deleted mail would be deleted from the server.
    To answer your 2nd question, No.Your password is not needed every time you turn your push on/off!

8. kokoui macrumors member

You can set it up as POP3, but then you will lose the push functionality i am afraid