Deleting Hard Drive Space!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by longhornpride, Jul 24, 2008.

1. longhornpride macrumors newbie

i need some help deleting some space on my hard drive, its almost full
    i know most of it is music

anyone know of any good software to help clear up space

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One option is to use an external drive for your music and other large files. There are also many utilities available to eliminate unnecessary files. One such app is Monolingual, which removes extra languages from programs.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

There is a utility called WhatSize. I think that it may help you with cleaning.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can also use a program such as omnidisksweeper that will help you find the areas of your hard drive which are consuming the most space.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Just because no one's else's mentioned them Disk Inventory X to see what's eating up the space and XSlimmer to put your Mac on a diet

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could use Grand Perspective to check out the drive, but that doesn't do any deleting.

7. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

8. Pickoff macrumors member

Monolingual is, Xslimmer is not but has a functioning trial, dunno bout the rest

9. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

WhatSize is shareware but you can use it for free to measure up to 20GB of data. Details on mentioned website.

10. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

must say that Monolingual is the best option. It will free like 3-5 gigs of stuff.

Another suggestion is to take a in library -> printers. Delete the printers you don't use.

(if you do get a another printer down the line, just use the install disk that comes with it.) That will get you another 3-5 gigs.

11. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

To remove unnecessary languages, you can also use Macaroni. It's a preference panel, not a standalone app. One great advantage of Macaroni is possibility to run tasks on regular schedule. Macaroni is shareware.

12. longhornpride thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the suggestions dudes
    ive used monolignial last week, it took alot off
    i just did diskinventoryx and it said i have like 13,000 files of mp3's and thats the most out of everything on my hard drive

i need a program to delete multiple files and one that can find every mp3 on my hard drive so i can go and delete the ones i dont use

13. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Definitely use Disk Inventory X. Click on large spots when you open the program (you'll see what I mean when you launch it) and see if anything is useless.

After doing an archive install of Mac OS X because my computer wouldn't boot, I found a 15 GB backup folder...