deleting Imovie and Idvd files.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silverlands23, Apr 24, 2009.

1. silverlands23 macrumors newbie

Hi there, iv been looking for threads on this and i cant find the specific answer to my question.

I imported DV video into imovie 06 (i have ilife 08 but like most others dont like using imovie 08) did my editing in movie 06. I then clicked on the idvd button, it opened idvd (08) but it hadnt imported the movie, so i simply went to the imovie file in finder and dragged and dropped it into idvd.

I then created an idvd project with the themes and all that jazz, clicked burn, and it took around 2 hours. I checked it in a dvd player, and it was perfect.

My question is now, can i delete the imovie 06 file from my comp. Its 12gb, and i have quite a few more to do, i was hoping that when id edited all my movies, i would be able to delete the movie files, in order to free my space back up. however i want to be able to make more copies.

Basically, Will i be able to burn more copies of the dvd, if i delete the imovie file?

Iv read things about 'image files' aswell, which might be part of it, im not sure, but as far as i know, i havnt done any other encoding or fancy importing when i put my movie into idvd.

Thanks.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't use iDVD much, and haven't used it in a few years, so this may not be correct, but...

So long as you don't want to do any further editing on your movie, and will only be burning DVDs from that point on, then I think you can go ahead and delete your iMovie project. You may want to export a dv version to tape or an external drive, however, just in case you ever want to go back to the footage or if you decide to migrate to a new format. I'm pretty sure that the iDVD project just contains the info needed to master a VIDEO_TS folder and burn it to disc.

If you really want to save space and don't need the projects anymore, burn a disc and then use that to make copies in the future. You can use Toast and the UDF option to burn playable discs.

I don't know if it's in your budget, but I'd recommend just getting an external drive (you can get 1GB firewire drives for about $150 bucks these days, and USB-only models for cheaper) and keeping your iMovie projects on it until you are ABSOLUTELY certain that you won't ever need to use them again.

3. silverlands23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, iv asked around and that seems to be what most people are saying. That i can delete the raw footage, but then i wont be able to edit, but i will be able to make copies. Im definitely looking in to getting an external HD aswell. Like you say, i wont have this problem if i invest in one of those.

Think im going test it out first with a movie i dont mind losing just to make sure i can make copies.

Thanks again.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you still want to keep it around, make a Disk Image of it and then put it in a zip folder.