Deleting in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rodman8600, May 16, 2007.

1. rodman8600 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any solid answers by searching. I remember when I had iTunes on my pc, if I deleted a song it asked me if I would like to send it to my recycle bin as well. Since I switched over to a mac, I have noticed that I don't have this option, when I delete a song in iTunes it only removes it from my library and doesn't give me the option to send it to the trash. I have looked through all of the preferences and haven't found anything, does anyone know how I can get this feature? I have been advised that I may have to turn on the option to copy all my music to my iTunes folder, but I prefer to keep it organized myself the way it is, is there anyway to get this feature without using the iTunes folder. Thanks.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Only if the song is in your specified official iTunes folder (default in user music folder) will deleting the song from the iTunes library prompt the inquiry. If, rather, the music is dragged from another location into the iTunes window (provied the option is checked to not copy song to ioTunes library (not default)) thus creating an alias, deleting the song will not prompt the inquiry and the file will stay on the hard drive. Hope this makes sense.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

That may well be the problem. I let iTunes organize my music for me (an option I highly recommend turning on), and it always asks me what to do with it upon deleting.

4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Yep, if you set it to automatically organize your iTunes music folder than it will prompt the question everytime (I know mine does). As far as I know, if you have it set to manually organize your music than you won't get that option when you delete. Plus, it's a lot easier having it automatic, I'm not the type who wants to sit there organizing my music lol.