Deleting instead of reformating

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macornomac, Jul 6, 2007.

1. macornomac macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    Just some questions about deleting stuff on my new macbook. At first I was going to do a clean install and reformat when I got it but I haven't done that yet. Just been enjoying and playing around on it. Now I have been told instead of reformating and what not to go ahead and just drag and trash the programs you dont want and that should be just as good. Ok here is my question well I haven't really opened up any of the programs on mac such as mac office and garage band etc etc. So if I want to go ahead and get rid of these programs are they all in one spot or do they have like hidden spots all over the hard drive???? What other stuff and where can I delete on my macbook to clear up space and get more hardrive thanks a lot.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Office trial has an uninstaller you can use. Simple as that. As for GarageBand, that's not so simple to remove - in addition to the app you have various support files, such as the loop library. I don't know where everything GarageBand installs is, but perhaps someone else can help more.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Generally most programs are contained in one file and maybe an Application support file. Although if you really want to be thorough you can try using uapp.

4. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was hoping to just delete files myself instead of having to download other software to do it. Maybe a reformat is better. I'll have to look into it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Big files when deleted leave the hard drive in a fragmented state. OSX defragments automatically for files under a certain size - but after deleting what could be GB's of data, I'd recommend doing a manual defrag of your disc (or a format).

iDefrag is a good quality program that'll do the trick.

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Earlier garage band loops were in HD>Lib>Appsuport>GB Later garage band loops are in HD>Lib>Audio>AppleLoops, sometimes they are doubled up in both places.

You can trash all the printer drivers in HD>Lib>Printers and then download the latest driver for your printer.

No please not the defragging stuff again. You do not need to defrag