Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Hi,
I need to create some space on my MacBook Pro and noticed I had an old iphoto library taking up over 60 GB, so I ctrl clicked on it to reveal the package contents and copied the Master File Folder of the photos to my external HD, then I dragged the entire iPhoto library to trash, however when I emptied the trash it only freed up about 5 GB - the Masters folder on my external is 55GB, so wondering why it has only freed up 5GB on my Macbook - any help appreciated

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you use Photos now (instead of iPhoto)?

I seem to recall reading something that the two programs can use the same core "library" (but with some behind-the-scenes software tricks to make them look like they are "different" libraries).

Hopefully others with a bit more specific knowledge will see this and reply.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,
I need to create some space on my MacBook Pro and noticed I had an old iphoto library taking up over 60 GB, so I ctrl clicked on it to reveal the package contents and copied the Master File Folder of the photos to my external HD, then I dragged the entire iPhoto library to trash, however when I emptied the trash it only freed up about 5 GB - the Masters folder on my external is 55GB, so wondering why it has only freed up 5GB on my Macbook - any help appreciated

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

I'm guessing you have Time Machine turned on and the space is being used for local snapshots. Just ignore it and the space will be freed up in 24 hours.

marl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

I'm guessing you have Time Machine turned on and the space is being used for local snapshots. Just ignore it and the space will be freed up in 24 hours.

Thanks for the reply - Time machine is on, could it be something to do with the library being stored at another location - the masters folder that I copied to a hard drive is 55 GB, but only cleared about 6Gb when I deleted the entire iphoto library....I wonder could the Master file be stored somewhere else as well?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Do you use Photos now (instead of iPhoto)?

I seem to recall reading something that the two programs can use the same core "library" (but with some behind-the-scenes software tricks to make them look like they are "different" libraries).

This.

When "converting" to Photos, a second library is created to the old iPhotos library via hard links (ie. one file, pointed to from two different locations). So if you delete the old iPhotos library, those pictures are still in the Photos library.

Example, from my library a picture added to iPhotos in 2008, converted to Photos in 2014(? 2015?).

Code:
$ find . -inum 43463
./iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary/Masters/2007/Roan Plateau Trip - Aug_2. 2007/IMG_0412.JPG
./Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2007/Roan Plateau Trip - Aug_2. 2007/IMG_0412.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.