Deleting iTunes from External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GoCubsGo, May 9, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have two external drives that contain my iTunes library. On one drive the library contains about 3 gb more content than the other as I switched drives and just started using one over the other.

One drive is a MyBook 400gb, the other is a Lacie 160gb. The MyBook has the "outdated" library on it. It also only has about 50 gb space left on it. The Lacie has about 14 gb space left so I decided to just copy my iTunes folder from the Lacie to the MyBook. As it turns out I was given an error that there's not enough space on the MyBook to do this despite the fact that I am copying a folder with the same title on both drives. I would have anticipated the message would be asking me to replace not to replace. No such luck.

I then deleted the iTunes library from the MyBook, however, even after unmounting and mounting the drive it still says there is only 50gb left. I searched the drive and I can't find any music/movies on there so I'm not sure why it is still reading as though it is full. I thought it was just a fluke so I tried to copy the folder again and it still said the drive was too full.

I also emptied the trash, unmounted both drives, shut them both off, then back on and let them mount. Still, no change in the status of the sizes.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Download WhatSize or GrandPerspective and see what they say is using up hard drive space.

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

WhatSize only scans 20 gb of data under the "free" trial. Since I don't think I need it I'm trying GrandPerspective. By the way that's one ugly app!
    Basically it said what I thought it would. 44 gb free just like before I deleted the iTunes library and still that's not quite showing.

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Hi Jessica.

A better application for this is called Disk Inventory X.

It's free unlimited download and once you let it run against a volume it will show graphically what is taking up the space. It's a nice application I use it all the time.

How big is your iTunes folder?

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually I had found it. Somehow it sank itself into a sub folder that was there from an old backup I made of my laptop's hard drive. Now I'm back in action. :)