Deleting Lion GM from external drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mathieuplante, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mathieuplante, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

mathieuplante macrumors member

I recently installed Mac OS X Lion (Golden Master) on an external USB drive to try it out. I thought that the drive was empty, but I apparently installed it on a drive that had some files on it. This morning, when I bought Lion on the Mac Store and set everything up, I plugged the USB drive and saw that it had OS X files on it. I want to delete all traces of the GM from that drive so that there are no conflicts. I have already deleted these folders:

Applications
    Library
    System
    Users

Do I have to do anything else to remove all traces of the GM?

Thanks.

2. webjprgm macrumors newbie

You missed all the Unix hidden files, like /usr, /bin, /etc, /var, /private, etc. To get at those, the easiest way I know is to go to the Terminal. Easier would be to copy the files you want to keep, reformat the USB drive, then put the files back.

If you want to go the Terminal route, do this to see all the files on the drive:

Code:
    cd /Volumes/YOUR_USB_DRIVE_NAME/
    ls -la

Then delete the ones you don't want like this:

Code:
    rm -rf usr
    rm -rf var
    rm -rf bin

... etc.

Be very careful with this, if you delete /usr (the slash means root file system that you booted from) then you destroy your currently running OS. You might need "sudo rm -rf usr" (sudo means super-user-do) if it gives you a permission denied error.

3. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

I will do exactly that, thanks for the tip, I appreciate it!

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I don't understand why you don't just format the drive?

5. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

Because I have important files on it. I will need to find some place to transfer those files to, then format and re-import. That's why I wanted to save some time if there was an easy way to delete the system files on it. But since I'm too much of a newbie with Terminal, I don't want to mess with it and risk losing those TBs of files.